• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with new chip choice...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M E G A N O O B

Registered
I have an ASUS A7N8X-Delux, (NForce chipset, latest BIOS, etc..) and I would like to know what the fastest AMD chip I can ZIF in there is. I currently have a 2100+ running at a 166 MHz FSB.

Is it worth it?

Can I overclock my 2100+ to scream ?

Thanks! :)

P.S. I will upgrade my RAM to handle the overclocking if necassary (PC2100/CAS 2.5)

MN

I would get the Athlon XP-M 2400. It's pretty cheap, and you can fairly easily O/C it to 2400 Mhz, and its unlocked so you don't have to upgrade your RAM.

Thanks for the input. Does the "M" in the chip designation stand for "Mobile" or something?

I keep reading about people buying these chips because they are "unlocked", does this mean that you can change the FSB settings? because I can do that with my curent CPU and MB.

And I would like to make a correction to earlier post - I have PC 2700 RAM that runs at 333 MHz.

In any case I have a lot of reading to do to understand how to propperly overclock my chip and get optimum performance from my setup.

Thanks for everyones help in advance!

MN

Also, I wanted to know what the FASTEST chip I can put in there is, not the most reasonably priced for the money (Which I do apreciate you informing me of).

Thanks,

MN

it's more like getting a 3500+ for a price of 2400+ :p

unlocked means you can change multiplier

At this point in time, IMHO there is no reason to buy a desktop AMD chip. The mobiles are pretty much the same price and will easily out-overclock almost all of the desktop bartons out there, including the 3200+. The 2600+ is the best barton readily available, and is almost guaranteed to easily get you to 2400Mhz. I have never seen a XP-M 2600+ that didn't at least get to 2400 with reasonable voltage.

The 2600+ is the best barton readily available, and is almost guaranteed to easily get you to 2400Mhz. I have never seen a XP-M 2600+ that didn't at least get to 2400 with reasonable voltage.

true that :p

It looks like you're already overclocking your memory and you seem to be having no problems. PC2100 runs at 266, you're running at 333 (you said 166, so I assume you're giving the external cpu frequency).

If that memory can handle 333, then the fastest AMD cpu you could get running at stock would be an AMD 3000+ 333 mhz version. If you can go to 400 FSB, then you could use a barton xp 3200+.

However, like others have said, you can go faster if you get a mobile and oc it.

Are you sure though that your 2100 is running at 166? This is definitely not normal, I am pretty sure there were no 2100's released that ran at 166.

More likely you're running the 2100 at 133/266, which means that if you upgrade to a barton mobile, you need to make sure that your motherboard can handle the 166/333 frequency most bartons run at (a few run at 200/400). You'll also have to upgrade your ram.

mobile bartons default fsb is 266 (133 external), btw :)

can be set at anything in bios, of course, mine can run at 482 (241 external)

mcoleg said:
mobile bartons default fsb is 266 (133 external), btw :)

can be set at anything in bios, of course, mine can run at 482 (241 external)

What is the default multiplier on the XP-M 2500 anyway? I don't know. :(

Since the the AMD Desktop 2500+ and the mobile 2500+ is practically the same would it default multiplier be 11? So 11x133 = 1463 Mhz?

I thought this is identical to the desktop Barton 2500+chip except the frequency of it is 11x166=1826Mhz? How would the mobile 2500+ at stock speed be rated the same performance rating of the stock desktop 2500+ if the Mhz is lower?

correct this newb plz.. :)

Are you sure though that your 2100 is running at 166? This is definitely not normal, I am pretty sure there were no 2100's released that ran at 166.

More likely you're running the 2100 at 133/266, which means that if you upgrade to a barton mobile, you need to make sure that your motherboard can handle the 166/333 frequency most bartons run at (a few run at 200/400). You'll also have to upgrade your ram.

I'm sorry, I'm a moron... My chip is an AMD 2700+, not a 2100+. ...This is why I call myself "MEGANOOB".

I checked all my system settings after doing a little more research here at OCForums only to find I quoted the wrong specs for my setup.

After reading some articles I got brave enough to OC some settings in my bios, and manged to come up with approxamatly a 2324 MHz rating for my 2700+, and the temp stayed around 45 deg. C.

Here are the changes I made:
V Core: 1.65 to 1.75
Multiplier: 13 x 166 = approx. 2158 MHz
to: 14 x 166 = approx. 2324 MHz

I tried to set the FSB to 200 with several very low mulitplier settings but the system crashed every time. Is this because my RAM is DDR333? Do I need DDR400 to set the FSB to 200?

The system profiler that came with the MB says the chip is capable of 3000 MHz. It would be awesome if I could reach that because it is around 900 MHz faster than default settings. I'm not sure if this is possible but I would like to try with some educated guesswork.

Thanks again for the help,

MEGANOOB

Back