• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any shipping dates for the Athlon 64 socket 939?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arabarabian

I am looking to get an A64 for my next CPU and I was wondering if anyone knows when they will start shipping? I would like to get one asap.

No one here knows. A predicted date is the beginning of June for Socket 939 to be announced by AMD. Predicted dates may change. If AMD follows the same track they did on Sept 23rd with the announcement of Socket 754, expect Socket 939 CPU's to be available very soon after AMD announces them (no paper launch). When a variety of Socket 939 motherboards will appear, few know. They will be for DDR and AGP8X, as well as AMD's Socket 939 CPU's.

March 29th --> May 30th --> June 1st for now

You won't see Socket 939 A64s in any large quantities until Q3 or Q4 when AMD will really ramp up to relegate Socket 754 to the mainstream platform.

Exactly. IF they actually release S939 on June 1st as alleged (and right now they have zero incentive to given Intel's problems) the most optomistic roadmaps show at most, a trickle of S939 CPUs in the second quarter at premium speed grades so expect to pay premiums for the chips through at least Q2 and probably through the rest of the year given S754 CPUs will be the bulk of shipments until next year.

So, don't expect to pay anything less than $300 for a Socket 939 CPU until next year.

As to mobos, expect the same pricing as current S754 K8T800 Pro and nForce 3 250 mobos (meaning $100-175)

Do yourself a favor and just buy an Athlon 3000+ with a nice nForce3 250 mobo and overclock the hell out of it.

I'm personally saving up for a 90nm Socket 939 A64...which I will probably buy Q1 2005. I will not wait for AMD to change the memory controller to accomodate DDR2. AMD is waiting for DDR2-667 to come out to justify a reasonable performance boost and for DDR2 prices to drop to reasonable levels (it will cost $300 for 512MB of DDR2-533 when Grantsdale and Alderwood come out in the next few months). I think that we will not see Socket 939 A64s below $200 anytime this year. 90nm Socket 939 A64s will probably not be priced lower than $300 this year. So we will be waiting a long time. I cannot justify a Socket 754 A64 right now, considering my Barton 2500+ runs fine. Also, Via K8T800 and nForce3 250GB mobos will run $80-120 I think.

I am disappointed with AMD. They should take advantage of Intel cancelling Tejas and Jayhawk, not sit back and let us pay a premium for the time being. Being as it is, AMD will have no pressure for the next 12-18 months to lower prices as Intel will not release their dual core cpu based on Pentium M for some time.

im disapointed too. they will release only two cpu for socker 939 at launch, and the price will be bigggggggg. so i will need to wait more time to get one of those, amd will need to do like with athlon xp, to lover the price and i think that everyone then will get a64.

Since I do not do gaming more than once a month I am thinking about going with dual socket 940 Opterons. Any recomendations? I could not overclock as well though.

Whoa, if you've got the $$$, go for it by all means. Opterons are excellent at just about every task. They've got massive memory bandwidth coupled with low latency thanks to the on-die memory controller. Two of them would make multi-tasking seamless. The only downside to Opterons is that you cannot expect an overclock from them. They always seem to top out at exactly 200MHz above stock, sometimes less, and neither cooling nor voltage helps past this. Opterons aren't due for any updates in the near future, so there isn't anything worth waiting for if you're going that route.

kulki said:
Hi Bar81,
I noticed that you have an AMD 64 processor. What kind of OC did u get from it.

Right now, I'm only at a 100mhz overclock but that's because of my mobo (no AGP/PCI locks, no vdimm, etc) . I'm going to get an nForce3 250 mobo (AGP/PCI locks) as soon as possible; I've got my sights set on the MSI K8N Neo Platinum as soon as it hits the market hopefully later this month. I know I'll get at least 400mhz on air with 500+mhz typical as you can see from Gautam's sig in the post above. Once the 6800GT vid card comes out along with the SATA plex DVD burner my setup will be set for the next year at least :D

Back