• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

266MHz Proc in a 200MHz board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neilwiltshire

Dear Overclockers,

I have an ABIT KT7E that had a Duron 800 in it D800AUT1B. I bought a working Athlon 1.4GHz processor from ebay A1400AMS3C. I tried it in my board and it didn't work. But I have noticed that the Athlon is a 1.75V 266MHz FSB, where my board supports up to 200MHz 1.2GHz processors according to ABITs specs.

Is it possible that I fried the processor by putting it in the board or is it more likely that the processor was defective from the start.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Neil

As long as you installed a heat sink/fan and thermal goop, it's unlikely you fried the processor. If you didn't, then even turning it on is enough to fry it, usually accompanied by smoke and a not so pleasant smell.

That chip should work in your board, it should just run slower (1400*200/266 = 1050 ghz or so). The multi will stay the same and you'll underclock the FSB. Both that chip and the A1400AM3SB are thunderbirds, so they are very similar.

Did you update your bios? You need a bios update to recognize the newer chips probably.

I'm doing a very similar upgrade very soon on my father's duron 700. I just bought a S3B version 1400 tbird, so it should run at full speed, I'll let you know how it goes.

The KT7E can run 266/133 with no problems. I have my cousin set up with one running an XP1600+ Palomino.

But the KT7A 1.3 is the only version of this motherboard that is officially approved for anything beyond a 1.4 Thunderbird. That my KT7E worked with no problems with an XP1600 was a stroke of luck.Most of the time they will work fine with the later CPU's, but some will have problems, and some won't work at all.

Are you sure that you have a KT7E, and not a KT7? If it is a KT7 (with the KT133 chipset), and the 1.4 is factory unlocked (many were), then it will try to default to 133/266 which the KT7 cannot support. That would result in a no boot situation.

Thanks everyone, I think that has answered my question.

I appreciate your time

Regards

Neil

Back