• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob ? on Vcore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNewbie

Ok I need some help on the system in my sig. This may sound like a stupid ? but why do I have the raise the vcore to get a stable oc
by just dropping the multi. and raising fsb? I am 20mhz slower than stock chip speed and the only way I can get stable is to underclock it at 2112mhz and Vcore to 1.75 w/ a 10x211 multi.

First, I don't think you're actually under stock speed...if it's a Barton you are actually over.

A frequency increase will usually need a voltage increase. I don't have the technical background (yet) to say why, but this is the general rule among overclocking. The person to ask is hitechjb; in the meantime, this is the general rule for Athlons:

Over 2 volts is not reccomended unless you have phase-change cooling.

Its just a plain jane 2600 333xp I wish it was a barton. hitechjb is he online right now?

Barton's came in 2600XP versions, with a 166 MHz FSB.

I think it is basically signal degradation causing instability that requires higher voltages.

Basically the faster you go the more volts a chip needs. If it doesn't have enough then the electrical signals inside the processor degrade, they end up too weak and you get errors because some times the transistors don't change properly. Or something like that anyway.

It's a bit like saying to use a power shower you need higher water pressure.

Going by the sig, you seem to be doing fine. 2.3 GHz with 1.725 volts isn't that bad. With decent cooling, I'd push the volts up a touch more to see if I could get it any faster. 50 C under load is a bit on the high side for my liking, but as long as you keep it under 60 C you should be fine. Few more case fans might help.

TheNewbie said:
... but why do I have the raise the vcore to get a stable oc
by just dropping the multi. and raising fsb? ...

Captain Newbie said:
A frequency increase will usually need a voltage increase. I don't have the technical background (yet) to say why, but this is the general rule among overclocking. The person to ask is hitechjb; in the meantime, this is the general rule for Athlons:

Over 2 volts is not reccomended unless you have phase-change cooling.

Higher Vcore is necessary to get to higher frequency but not sufficient for stability. To get to stable high frequency under load, it requires both high Vcore and low enough temperature for a given CPU and for a given cooling setup.

This is why:

CPU (chip) is made up of many transistors (towards 100 millions for Tbred/Barton, more for A64) forming logic switches to perform logic operations. Physically, each transistor is connected to some capacitors which are inherent in the transistor gate dielectric and coupling between connections and the underlying silicon. In order for the transistors to switch and perform the required logic function physically in a given CPU cycle, electric current is needed to charge and discharge these capacitors (100 millions+) via the corresponding transistor switches.

Such switching current (usually known as Idsat) through a transistor depends on Vcore, the higher the Vcore, the larger the current (a property of transistor, without going into details here).

That is,
the higher the Vcore is,
the higher the current,
the shorter the time to switch a transistor to do a logic operation,
the shorter the cycle time of a pipeline in a CPU,
the higher the CPU frequency.

These are the mathematics and physics of the above statement.
Idsat = k1 (Vcore - Vt)^n
where k1 and n are constants, n is between 1 and 2, Vt is transistor threshold voltage. In more detail, typically, n = 2, k1 = W u e / (2 L d), where W is width of transistor gate, L is transistor channel length, u is mobility, e is gate oxide dielectric constant, d is gate oxide thickness.

Since more current can charge or discharge a capacitor faster, the (delay) time (tD) to switch a transistor (in a logic gate) varies inversely with the current, so the higher the current, the shorter the time to perform a logic operation.

tD = C Vcore / Idsat
where C is capacitance (described above).

In a CPU pipeline, within a clock cycle, typically there are 5-20 stages of such logic switching. So the shorter the deley time (tD), the shorter the CPU cycle time T or the higher the CPU frequency f (since f = 1 / T).

f = 1 / T = k2 / tD
Combining this with the above equations, taking n = 2, we can get
f = k2 Idsat / C Vcore = k2 k1 (Vcore - Vt)^2 / C Vcore
or
f ~ k3 Vcore + k4
where k2, k3 = k1 k2, and k4 are some constants.

In other word, the higher the Vcore is, the higher is the frequency, and answers the original question.

For more details:
Vcore vs processor frequency and cycle time (page 19)
Why frequency and voltage are important for overclocking performance (page 19)

This is only part of the story, without other constraints. But the bad news is, we cannot keep increasing Vcore, as there are constraints of
- heat and temperature
- gate voltage breakdown of silicon oxide under the transistor gate
What is gate break-down voltage (page 16)

This keeps the CPU frequency from going forever by Vcore increase.

The temperature constraint is due to the active power P_active, plus leakage power P_leakage, dissipated when running a CPU at frequency f with voltage Vcore.

P_active = C Vcore^2 f
where C is the equivalent capacitance of the CPU to model power.

The temperature t of a CPU is related to the power P_active + P_leakage by

t = kR (P_active + P_leakage) + tA
where kR is known as thermal resistance of a given cooling, and tA is certain temperature offset.

The higher the voltage and frequency, the higher the power and the higher the temperature. Such active power will increase the CPU to certain temperature under certain load for a given cooling.

Since carrier mobility decreases as temperature increase beyond certain temperature due to lattice scattering, transistor switching slow down as temperature increases. So the frequency f of a CPU varies inversely with the temperature, or df / f = - k dt, mathematically.

The balancing of these two opposing actions, or the intersection of the voltage-frequency curve and the temperature-frequency curve of a CPU characteristic naturally determines the final stable voltage/frequency/temperature operating point. If overclocking is due properly, the maximal overclocking should settle naturally at certain frequency, voltage and temperature, as desribed above, below the maximum absolute rating of voltage and temperature (as seen from Tbred/Barton, ...). A perceived stable voltage and temperature setting may not be necessary after all, if the voltage, temperature, frequency variations are monitored properly.

CPU voltage: from stock to max absolute, from efficient overclocking to diminishing return (page 19)

How does leakage current slow down future generations of chips (page 19)

Last edited:
So what your saying is that the reason I have to raise the Vcore at a higher fsb w/ the cpu at the same clock rate is that it has to have more voltage to make up for the (tD) being shorter from running the fsb faster? Is this correct?

TheNewbie said:
So what your saying is that the reason I have to raise the Vcore at a higher fsb w/ the cpu at the same clock rate is that it has to have more voltage to make up for the (tD) being shorter from running the fsb faster? Is this correct?

Vcore is mainly related to the CPU frequency, maybe there is some secondary relationship to FSB.

But mostly CPU overclocking is concerned with CPU frequency first by increasing Vcore to a point that the resulting temperature begins to diminish the overclocking frequency or the system begins to show sign of instability (such as shown by Prime95) regardless of incremental Vcore increase.

In general, FSB requires more attention to the memory module and motherbaord, and less from Vcore.

You can independently find out the highest stable CPU frequency and the highest stable FSB.

You can set the FSB relatively lower to determine the highest CPU frequency, similarly setting CPU frequency relatively lower to find the highest FSB in your system.

Then find a mulitplier setting to relative the CPU frequency and the FSB frequency.

TheNewbie wrote on 05-10-04 09:32 PM:
I thaught there was a direct link from my fsb to my Vcore problem because I can run my fsb all the way to 223 stable(prime95) but I have to underclock my cpu and raise the vcore to 1.85. Where I'm at right now is 10x210 2100 Vcore 1.725 stable (prime95) any less Vcore at this setting makes it very unstable unable to run prime95. And at stock vcore and at 2100mhz abouts all i can go stable is 190fsb or so. I know that if I was to raise the clock speed I would have to use more voltage but I have not heard of raising the fsb and having to add more power.

If I understand correctly,
it is stable at 190 x 11 = 2090
it is also stable at 210 x 10 = 2100 at 1.725 V
Also FSB is stable at 223.

If you want to run FSB at around 223 and CPU at 2100,

have you tried FSB at 221 and multiplier 9.5, so CPU would be around 2100 which you have been able to get the CPU stable at 1.725 V.

yes but if I run 223x9.5 i have to underclock or raise the Vcore again to oh say 1.85 to get it stable at 2118 but it gets hot very fast :eek:

TheNewbie said:
yes but if I run 223x9.5 i have to underclock or raise the Vcore again to oh say 1.85 to get it stable at 2118 but it gets hot very fast :eek:

If you cooling cannot handle 1.85 V and 2100+ MHz CPU, and you want to get highest FSB close to 223 as possible, then you have to try
FSB at 215-220 and multiplier 9.5 with Vcore around 1.75 V.

Have you tried FSB between 215 to 220, and pick one that is stable and not too hot for the CPU with the cooling you are now using.

Back