• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whoa.. check this out. (PICS)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dippy_skoodlez

00_00001.JPG

00_00000.JPG

The corners of the CPU are turning green..... and I can read the stepping on the heatsink... I can see the heatsink thing, but a green CPU?!! Any explinations?

I have seen that before...but that was from a HS that wasnt fully seated on the CPU...(from the heatsink being slightly unlevel, the person did not lap the used heatsink before installing it on a new CPU)...half the CPU thermal pasted turned a light shade of green from the CPU overheating on that portion of the CPU...and you could read the exactly what was on the CPU core...on the SLK800...

This was from that CPU...not sure of yours...since yours looks kind of like algae green...not a teal green color...

glock19owner said:
I have seen that before...but that was from a HS that wasnt fully seated on the CPU...(from the heatsink being slightly unlevel, the person did not lap the used heatsink before installing it on a new CPU)...half the CPU thermal pasted turned a light shade of green from the CPU overheating on that portion of the CPU...and you could read the exactly what was on the CPU core...on the SLK800...

This was from that CPU...not sure of yours...since yours looks kind of like algae green...not a teal green color...

This one is a lot worse than those pics got.. its almost covering 1/4 of the core.. and tahts the stock heatsink HP gave me :eek:

It runs around 45C load, not too bad for.. a Tbird.. lol.. i think I;ve been saying pally for a while... i need to get some sleep lol!!

Its a really DARK green, and starting to turn brownish, looking like its burnt :eek:

dippy_skoodlez said:
Its a really DARK green, and starting to turn brownish, looking like its burnt :eek:

if it still works...then it's possible is from the heatsink not sitting correctly, causing the one protion of the core to run a lot hotter then the side that was seated correctly...if not, then its already fried...

If it still works...be glad you caught it now...

Also, how old is the CPU and the thermal paste?

My father ran his duron at around 100C (temp showed as 92C in bios) for months because the dust shut down his fan and he had 0 airflow. Amazingly it wasn't damaged. Hower, the green phase change goo was dry and cracked and I couldn't get it off with a razor, I had to sand it off. The rubber pads had basically vaporized. Everything on the cpu was black/brown and burned.

glock19owner said:

if it still works...then it's possible is from the heatsink not sitting correctly, causing the one protion of the core to run a lot hotter then the side that was seated correctly...if not, then its already fried...

If it still works...be glad you caught it now...

Also, how old is the CPU and the thermal paste?

Its a tbird 1300 that came in my moms HP, and I've recently rebuilt it with a k7s5a, and a GF4 mx. The thing still works... I think.. I took the mobo out of the system because I have been having issues getting it to boot correctly, and getting different errors every single time >_<

The thermal paste is either part of the black phase change stuff taht came on it, some of my arctic silver III, or ceramique. None of which is green :p

I had the same ("labeled" heatsink) on normal Athlon and next on Palomino :) but I use to polish heatsinks before mounting processors :)

That CPU is perfectly fine. If you can read the writing on the heatsink that means it has made good contact with the heatsink. In fact this was quite normal with many palo cores. The reason why the corners are turning green is because you have some algae trying to grow in TIM. Some cheap TIM also change color and consistancy when super heated like in a situation like that like vasoline.

Tebore said:
That CPU is perfectly fine. If you can read the writing on the heatsink that means it has made good contact with the heatsink. In fact this was quite normal with many palo cores. The reason why the corners are turning green is because you have some algae trying to grow in TIM. Some cheap TIM also change color and consistancy when super heated like in a situation like that like vasoline.

I was using arctic silver III, and ceramique.. each time I cleaned it off well with goof-off. =/ Odd. Hopefully it wioll work fine still :D

Bumpitty bumpitty bump.... with an update---

Few months went by, similar boot issues fine, and one day stuck my 2400+m in it.... booted up first time.

And still does.

Took a nice look at the Tbird and the green is now engulfing a 1/3 of the CPU, and a small portion of the opposite corner. Heatsink not sitting on the CPU flat, and eating away at the sides with the fan on it, perhaps? Ordered a retail 2000+ and should be here in a few days. Looks like I have a new socket A keychain, and a nice new videocard heatsink aswell!

:D

Oh, and the middle, core of the green mystery is now starting to turn brown. Which makes me think even more, the heatsink is eating through the CPU. LOL

That little square on all of the CPU's in the corner, is starting to lose detail, aswell.

EDIT: Edited origonal pic to relate to the new coloring:

CPUcopy.jpg

Last edited:
Back