• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have a heat problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Savage1

Registered
Currently I'm running a Thermalright SLK-800A, with a Vantec Tornado 88. When it was cool out, I never hit anything close to 40 C, even when benchmarking. But I live in the South, and it is warm here now. I don't normally turn on the AC until the end of June. But now, even without benchmarking, my die temp hits close to 50 C and I'm getting random, or maybe not so random, reboots. It happens either in a game, or, since I had a new problem, I ran SiSoft Sandra, and found it reboots during the Multimedia CPU benchmark. It is not doing it right now, because this morning my die temp is only 36 C.

I have this in a BIG server case with 3 80MM fans, two blowing OUT the back, and one blowing OUT the top. There is an inlet in the front of the case. The two blowing out the back are pulling air right acroos the CPU setup, since they are very close. The case fans are not nearly so good as the heatsink fan, they are cheap fans that came with the case.

I'm not really beating on this thing, I've only got it running @ 220 X 11.5. But I am now getting flicker lines in the screen every once in a while. This is a real good Mobile 2500+ Barton, unlocked, I do not want to kill it with heat.

Am I on the right track here? Is heat causing my reboots?

Could it be my older Visiontek GeForce 3 Ti 200? I've been wondering about that since it happens during the multimedia benchmark, but not the math benchmark. It happens the instant before the graphics show on the monitor. I wonder if my video card CAN force a reboot. Should 47 C to 50 C cause a reboot under hard usage?

I wouldn't have thought it the die temp, mine is currently at 56 C, desktop Barton.

What is your voltage though? Could be too low to keep it all stable. Might be video card, don't know.

You would also be better off and have lower temps if you have fans blowing IN to the case rather than blowing air out. Lower case temp = lower die temp.

Back