• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats better for overall performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mugzy0130

Registered
Memory Speed vs. CPU Speed?

I have gotten my system stable at a couple of speeds, which set up is best overall?

12.0x200 2400MHz with the mem. running at 166MHz

or

12.5x182 2277MHz with the mem at 182MHz

or

11x200 2000MHz mem spd at 200MHz

Last edited:
Umm, you need to ru nyoure system in sync with the ram so whatever is 1:1 with the cou is the best choice to make.

Just run 12x200 for 2400mhz and set the CPU/FSB ratio to 6/6

I have done one to one ratio on the cpu and mem. but my system becomes unstable. the settings above are the ones my system is stable at, and the best ones I been able to get.

That doesnt make any sense, youre ram is rated for 200fsb, you should have no problem running @ 200fsb with a 1:1 (3:3 5:5 6:6) cpu/fsb ratio

Go here and download the Memtest 3.1A, Follow the intructions on how to install it into a floppy disk. Make the floppy doesnt have anything else on it. Once you install it onto the floppy disk reboot the pc, Load youre computers Optimised defalts save and reboot, pop the floppy in and let it ru nthe test.

If it fails then its youre memory thats bad. If it passes, raise the fsb to 200fsb and make sure youre raitio is 1:1 with the cpu, save and reboot do the test again if it fails then it seems like youre memory is the problem.

I had a 1gb pc3200 Duel channle Geil goldendragon kit also and it was a peice of junk not being able to run @ 200fsb. I got another kit and it did the same thing.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Or it could bhe that cpu cant handle 2.4 ghz? Does the 200x11.5 work? Do you have the 1:1 ratio on when it its like that ?

Trust me youre computer will alot better @ 2000mhz 200fsb (400mhz) 1:1 ratio. Then it would @ even 2500mhz 200fsb and ram @ 180fsb.

Amd system dont like running out outa sync

I think my ram is fine, I am lowering it down abit, and gonna check how it does. I had it running a 2-3-3-6, factory set says its 2.5-4-4-8. May be that will help out in running at 200Mhz. Right now I its at 2.5-5-5-8, hopefully it will be stable.

My sys. does run at 11.5x200 w/ mem speed 200 but it randomly reboots itself from time to time at that speed.

Which mean it isnt stable @ all.

How do you know youre ram is fine ? Just run that test. Whats the size is youre powersupply and what brand is it?

Back