• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermoelectric device query on P4 prescott.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dizzzzz

Hey guys

I think this is my first post, but I've been sucking info off you very smart bunch of people for ages, and you've been very helpfull, with even knowing it, well thanks, boards like this are great for numpties like me.

Anyway..... My current system (which I will add to my profile at some point) :D

Asus p4c800 e delux
prescott 3.0e 1mbcache @ 225fsb (x 15 = 3375 core) @1.35v
volcano 7 set at Q fan 12/16 ratio.
2 x 512mb corsair PC3700 NP CL2 currently @ 3/3/3/5 1:1 @ default V
agp/pci @ 75.5/42.5
ati 9700 (something or other, cant remember exactly from work pro maybe)
120mm input fan at front base.
80 exit rear, under psu, inline with cpu
80 exit rear base (removed pci slot thingies)
2 x 40mm input, blowing from under cdrom (ie 3rd bay down in midi case) on to cpu
um.... 2 x 250Gb maxtor SATA
dvdrw
cdrw
cordless keyb/mouse/joystick.

At present my temps are 41c idle 57 full load. I can vary that with fan speed, but it never gets to 58, so q fan never inc the fan speed. if I set q fan @ 11/16 then cpu reaches 58 under load, and fan speed incs to max, then cpu comes down to 55. (not worry about that anyway, just background info really)
the system is 100% stable, I just dont go higher because of temps.

so........

Ive just bought a Antec p160 case, a thermalright 94 and a panflow 92mm low noise fan.

AND I just found a Supercool thermoelectric device, see attched pics. The photos are take next to the sp94, for scale. I have no part no (yet, I hope), and no other info on it (yet), does anyone know these guys, or have you tried thermoelectrics?

Any tips, hints, scare stories, or inparticular info on how they work, will be very appreciated.

thanks
Rich @ www.richardwardracing.com

Attachments

• p5110001mod.jpg
    p5110001mod.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 174
Not only is this not a general cpu question, it's not a cpu question period.

As a gross oversimplification, all a thermoelectric device (heat pump, Peltier unit, whatever you want to call them...) does is use electricity to quickly transfer heat from one side of the unit to the other - a bit in the vein of what a refrigerator does, only without the refrigerant.

Now, if you want to use one of these, you do have to be careful of a few things.
1) Condensation - you have to be very careful to protect all surrounding circuitry from condensation that will build up around one of these, especially the socket and under the socket. There are several methods of doing this, including packing the area with petroleum jelly, coating it with a rubber-like sealant, or using glued neoprene.
2) Use the right peltier! With new CPUs going well over 100W in their heat dissipation, especially while overclocked, having a 94W Peltier will only cause you trouble; your CPU will overheat in no time flat. I believe it's a good 40% of headroom you want over the maximum heat dissipation of a CPU for your Peltier. So for modern CPUs, a rather powerful heat pump is neccessary.
3) Only the most powerful of air cooling units can dump this much heat from the extremely hot backside of the CPU. Actually, for the proposed 140W Peltier in the above situation, all air coolers are probably woefully inadequate. Water is almost the only way to go.
4) A heat pump will usually overload a power supply with the rest of your system devices on it. A separate power supply is neccessary 95% of the time. Which is fine, since if I'm not mistaken, you usually want to turn the cooler on BEFORE the rest of the system. Otherwise, the cold side of the pump may not be cooled enough to cool the CPU, and headaches will follow. I've heard of people building timer relays that, when they push the power button on the PC, first turns on the PSU for the Peltier and the Peltier itself, clocks for a moment, then continues powering the rest of the PC on once the cooling is ready to roll.

Unneeded complexity, if you ask me. Refrigerant seems to be more effective nowadays. These things are definitely for the tinkerer!

This is just regular pelt/air cooling you are suggesting. There is a tonne of information in the extream cooling section on doing this, including how to power them and what not. I am not sure what the thermal output of your CPU is, but from the nickname preshot I'm guessing quite high. Most people use a pelt rated at at least double their CPU's thermal output, and I don't think this pelt is double your CPU's thermal output.

Read through these forms and the net and learn all you can about thermal electric cooling. That will help you to figure out what you need to do.

thanks guys. It was just tinkering idea, but I think I'll leave it for now. maybe I'll give it a try just before my next upgrade. the new hsf and case has knocked off over 10 degrees (load 44), so I'm pretty happy for now.

I think nevertheless that the SP-94 would't be able to withstand the cold plate.
You see, there's the cooler(sp-94), then comes the pelt itself, that needs to be clamped with a cold plate attached to the cooler.
So, the sp-94 doesn't appear to be sufficiently thick, for you had to drill some holes to attach the cold plate onto it.
The Swiftech's are better to thatt purpose.
Anyway, you needed to have some GOOD VENTILATION, an air duct directly to the cpu.
Try this link:www.pcextreme.net/samlex_america_320_1.php

Back