• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thunderbird 1400 showing up WEIRD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MRD

I just installed an athlon thunderbird 1400 mhz (200 fsb version) to replace my duron in a Biostar M7VKB motherboard.

I benchmarked the cpu and it came out about the same in terms of speed, which seems weird. I ran a shareware system analyzer, and it said the cpu was running at something like 680 mhz.

This is the output from cpuz and crystalcpuid:

http://www.IMGSpot.com/uploads/cpuinfo.jpg

I'm getting really conflicting info. What I see there makes no sense.

I did update to the most recent bios, and the motherboard manufacturer claims that the board does support this chip. There is no multi/fsb control in the bios.

Anyone have any ideas 1) What's going on and 2) how to fix it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Ok, I have a bit more info on this. It turns out that the cpuz/cpuid things are probably just reading the cpu wrong, as it happens in my a7n8x too, but the performance of the chip is quite normal in my a7n8x.

I tested an xp 1700+ in the biostar, and its performance is also abysmal, even worse than the tbird 1400 (it runs at 1100 in that board). Thus, for some reason, that board is slow.

BTW, the test I've been running is Sandra cpu arithmetic.

Why would the same processor in one motherboard be about 40 percent of the speed as it is in another motherboard? (Not just one processor but anything you put in that motherboard?) The slow mb has SDRAM, but I don't see how that should matter for a cpu arithmetic test.

Anyone have any ideas?

Back