• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Personal peltier cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stupid Boy

I would like to make a really cheap portable cooler. Here are my ideas:

1. Power the fans (Panaflo 12L's) with a 9v battery
2. Mount the fans like the picture I attached (This is a side view; there will be sides, and I have not decided upon the placement of fans.)

I need to find:

1. A cheap peltier
2. A cheap power supply

Remember, this needs to be portable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
umm...pelts draw a whole butt load of current. For you to actually notice the thing cooling you you would probably need a 200 watt pelt or more. This means a powersupply capable of giving atleast 20 amps at 12Volts. On the plus side you don't have to worry about the 9V battery for the fans, they can just run of the same supply as the pelt. Their power draw is nothing compared to the pelt, so they won't make any difference.

As far as a protable 12V supply with this kind of current... well.... you could plug it into the lighter in your car, or you could cary around a car battery with you. Obviously neither of these options are exactly portable, as car bettery are make of lead and sulfuric? acid, so they tend to weigh just a little bit, making them hard to carry around. Cars weigh slightly more than a battery, so if you are leaving an area where you can drive, carying your car is even harder than carrying the battery ;)

One thing that might work is a motorcycle or ATV battey. They are much smaller and you could carry one around with out too much trouble. Unfortunatly being smaller they will go dead much faster too, so the cooler won't last all that long.

Back