• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Nvidia OC utility... Can't power-on.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XWraithX

My system: Epox 8RDA+ mobo, Nvidia chipset, AMD 2400+ cpu, Nvidia GeForce4 4400.

I just recently downloaded Nvidia's OC utility and overclocked my system from 266 on the fsb to 280, 'relaxed' the RAM timing a bit as per Nvidia's 'destructions...'

It ran fine for about 5 minutes- no artifacts or glitches, then promptly shut down completely without warning.

The utility does state that it only oc's for the current session. However, now I cannot even get the system to power-on at all... no lights, nothing.
Everything else shows power, and are on the same power-strip, so the outlet's not the issue.

Can anyone tell me what may have happened, and/or how I can get it to power-on? Did I overkill on the oc?

Note: I did have a problem in the past (no oc'ing, stock state) that only happened once where the fans and harddrives just shutdown with the power lights stayed lit, but I've a feeling that the timing in this last problem points to the oc utility. (?)

Thanks in advance.

Did you try resetting the CMOS? If not, do that (unplug your power supply just to make sure), reset it, then power back up. Let us know what happens... I have no idea why the utility would have caused that.

Hi, Fletch.

I removed the cmos battery and reinstalled it, but to no avail- I am getting no response to the power-on button... nothing at all. Does it sound like a power supply problem?

You have to do more than that. Unplug the pc, remove the battery, short the jumper or solder points for about 10s, replace the battery, replace the plug, turn it on.

Just removing the battery will not clear the cmos.

I doubt you caused permanent damage, try the cmos thing.

MRD,
I gave that a shot- unplugged, removed the battery... I jumpered the 2-3 jcmos pins, rejumped 1-2, etc...

So far still no power.

Last edited:
Does the PSU actually powers up? Do the HDs spin? If not it could be either a shortcircuit somewhere or just a dead PSU

Nothing- no hd spin, no fans, not even lights.

I'm wondering if I had a bad psu to begin with, seeing as my system has shutdown on it's own in the past for no apparent reason without oc, where the fans & hd's died, but the power light was still on, and it only restarted after unplugging and replugging the system.

Could it be that due to heat stress, and the overclocking just pushed it over the limit by requesting a higher voltage?

-Thanks

Even if there is no cpu at all you'll have some signs of life from the mb. I'd suspect power supply.

Reading through this tread leads me to only one conclusion. Your PSU just picked a bad time to Cr@p out. Get a nice Antec, 400watt at least and I can bet all will be well in your world.

I don't like any windows based OC utility and never will. Bios takes longer with restarts and all but is better.

Also that was a big jump you took in you FSB in one shot, not good. Take it slow with small bumps, prime for 15min, then bump some more. When Windows doesn't boot back off a bit and prime over night. If it's still running you have a stable OC. Overclocking is not a race but a art.

Note: This is overclocking, The Short Form... read other threads for more details ;)

Is unplugging the battery really necassary cuss on my board i just turn the power off with my switch, and short the 2-3 pins by the jumper for like 5 seconds then put the jumper back on 1-2 turn it on and it has resseted.

It was in fact the psu- it was overloaded from the oc. I just put in an antek 550, and all is well.

Thanks for the help, all.

Back