• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I upgrade ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sct

Disabled
I was looking into getting a new AMD Mobile XP and
taking out my locked xp 2500. See Sig at bottom of page .

Switching to a mobile would generally get you ~200-400 extra MHz. IMO, you have a nice setup as is with regards to the processor.

You should be able to push that barton a little farther, possible increasing the voltage more. Personally I have thought the same thing, swapping out my 2800+ for a 2500 Mobile (putting the 2800 at stock in my work computer). But I decided to keep it the way it is, you probably won't get much more out of a mobile.

You should be able to push that barton as far as 2.4Ghz. Since you said it is unlock, why don't you up the multiplier? Let the FSB stay around 205 and up the multiplier to 11.5 or 12. Make sure that you have a good power supply and remember to increase the Vcore.

My bad, I thought it is unlocked. The question you should as is "Is it necessary to spend the extra money for the extra speed that I don't really need not?" You are already running at 3200+ speed, which is more than enough to run any game. Realistically, no you do not need to change your CPU. However, if you have something call "compulsive behavior" like the rest of us overclockers, where we must have the extra speed just for fun (and do it as a hobby), then the answer is yes. Go pick up a mobile and overclock as much as you can.

I'm planning to get a mobile myself too...... lol....

This is an obsession...... I have the need............... for speed..................

I'd just increase voltage on bridge and CPU, to get 220-230mhz.

You are running 11x200 at stock voltage, you're sure you want to throw this CPU away? AQZFA 0341 is decent in my opinion. At least send it to me, I'll try to push it to like 15+ x 166 with Mobile mod :)

A-Bit off topic

I keep seeing this Abit NF7-S ver 2.0 and I notice one thing it does not OC desktop 2500's well. As you can see in my sig I get a good OC with air and my Asus MB the only reason I don't go higher is I like my temps @ below 50C load. Is this a common problem with this Abit board? I do see good numbers with the moble but not worth the upgrade for me because I 'm waiting for the new 64 socket.

Any comments?

If you triiedto get 2.4GHz with stock voltage, low bridge voltage and mem voltage & timings that are for stoock speed, you'd have problems too.
In my opinion bof NF7-S and Asus A7N8X Deluxe are excellent mobos.
The thing I don't like with Asus is that voltage regulators are far from CPU and there are only 4, when Abit has 6. On A7V8X-X it was possible to add additional 4 to existing 4 tho...

I doubt it. Not that the P4's are bad, but I think you'd see better performance (and much more upgrade potential) with an A64.

Would any one get a p4 800fsb over a athlon 64?

It depends on what your main usage is........

Gaming -> AMD64 is a good choice (P4 isint bad either)
Encoding -> P4
MultiTasking / rendering etc -> Dual CPU (can be gotten very reasonably)

[edit] TBH i dont see much point in investing in the Socket A anymore (in your case) as your not far from its max. Its not a bad system to have but if you want noticable performance differences think about P4/AMD64 ........ IMHO.

Back