• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone know what are ideal temps for mobile xp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nocturnal714

The Lost Soul
i'm idling around 41 and 54-55 full load. my cpu is stable but is this dangerous? should i go water cooling? thanks

WELCOME!

This is going to be a given question & it's a common drill around here. Please provide specs, i.e. Powersupply, Heatsink, fans, motherboard, etc........

I'm surprised your getting 54-55 full load, I hear most mobiles (& some I have had) fail at that tempature.

thermaltake 480 watt powersupply, volcano 12 fan and hs, abit nf7-s, corsair xms 3200. yea i thought it was stange too that it would run at those temps. but i broke it in, used some artic silver 5 and tested it, and even used programs that put the cpu at 100%. even left if on burning dvds for 2 days. no problem yet. only had to reboots and that was because i was seeing how low i could set the vcore. right now i can't go lower than 200*12 1.65 w/o it being stable so i'll just leave it at that. if you have any other ideas with the bios setting like the mem settings and so forth please feel free to enlighten me because i am new to overclocking. thanks for your time...:thup:

a great thing happened to me today. my upstairs ac has been broken since the start of the summer and just had freon put in it. after a few hours the temperature of my room cooled down drastically. decided to run my cpu again during the evening because i knew it would be cooler at night as well. to my suprise, i was getting great temps with my volcano 12 hs. running some programs lightly and maxed out at 38. i calculate i would get around the mid 40's at full load. this has given me some relief as i did not want to spend the extra $ for a watercooled rig. problem is now i need a new filter on my ac and have to turn it off until i get a new one tomorrow. will keep everyone who views this thred updated.

actually, with lower voltages, up to 1.65-1.7, mobiles can take 55C...

generally mid 40's under load is a cut-off in my experience for a 100% stable system.

took my power supply out and running it out of the box. temps have gone done by 5 degrees :)

I think there is no single ideal or safe temperature in overclocking, temperature varies with CPU voltage and frequency. The AMD tech doc specifies some absolute temperaute limit, but that is way higher than normal usage temperature. Here is why.

With ambient temperature around 20 - 30 C (summer is coming), below is the general picture.

For stock cooling, one should be able to get 2.1-2.2 GHz out of it, temperature can get to somewhere between 55 - 65 C.

For Volcano 9/11/12, probably one can add 100 MHz to get it to 2.2 - 2.3 GHz, with temperature somewhere between 50 - 60 C.

With a good copper HS such as SLK-947/SP-97 and a high speed adjustable fan such as Thermaltake Smart Fan II, one would expect to get around 2.3-2.4 GHz from a desktop barton with temperature somewhere between 50 - 55 C; and 2.4 - 2.6 GHz out of a mobile barton with temperature somewhere between 40 - 50 C.

All these numbers are for general reference to illustrate the trend, don't take them as 100% rigid.

Generally, most people would put a fix number of max temperature, say 60 C or 55 C or 50 C on the CPU, it is fine as a first order guideline.

Technically, CPU temperature and CPU stable frequency vary inversely, higher frequency requires lower temperature for stability and lower frequency can work stably at a higher temperature.

E.g.
- A CPU can run stably at a much higher temperature (e.g. 60+ C), at a lower Vcore and lower frequency (e.g. 1.4 - 1.6 V, 2.2 - 2.3 GHz for Tbred B/Barton) than its intrinsic ideal max frequency.

- A CPU needs a much lower temperature (e.g. under 30 - 45 C on air or even lower for extreme cooling) to run stably at high Vcore for sustaining a higher overclocking frequency (e.g. 1.8 - 2.0+ V, 2.5 - 3.0+ GHz).

For technical details:

Originally posted by hitechjb1
The higher the voltage and frequency, the higher the power and the higher the temperature. Such active power will increase the CPU to certain temperature under certain load for a given cooling.

Since carrier mobility decreases as temperature increase beyond certain temperature due to lattice scattering, transistor switching slow down as temperature increases. So the frequency f of a CPU varies inversely with the temperature, or df / f = - k dt, mathematically.

The balancing of these two opposing actions, or the intersection of the voltage-frequency curve and the temperature-frequency curve of a CPU characteristic naturally determines the final stable voltage/frequency/temperature operating point. If overclocking is done properly, the maximal overclocking should settle naturally at certain frequency, voltage and temperature, as desribed above, below the maximum absolute rating of voltage and temperature (as seen from Tbred/Barton, ...). A perceived stable voltage and temperature setting may not be necessary after all, if the voltage, temperature, frequency variations are monitored properly and adjusted incrementally.

CPU voltage: from stock to max absolute, from efficient overclocking to diminishing return (page 19)

Last edited:
Well if it works and is stable, then no it isn't too high.

What hitechjb1 said is all true, but that is a rough estimate that won't be perfectly accurate for all CPU's.

But for stability and life span then you do want to keep the temperatures as low as possible, no matter what the CPU is. That can be achieved most easily through a bigger and better heatsink or water cooling. But more case fans, cooler ambient temperature and tidier wires will all help as well.

There are lots of things that can help you to run cooler. Not least using the lowest necessary voltage.

Back