• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To Plet or not to Pelt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EPirate

I about a montha go go into water cooling and contrusted my first water cooling setup. Temp about, ive gotten down to 21*c Idle but thats on rare time of the day when it really cool in the house. Usually about 26*c, the temps are ok but im really looking to OC an extreme amount. (kinda a bet with my friend who can get highest speed out of there Computer. Hes got a P4C 2.8ghz and i got a 2.6B 2.4 Ghz) He runs on Air cooling cept he has a AC sitting next to his case constantly blowing in and get temps of about 10*C sometimes lower. Ive pushed my CPU to 3.16 Ghz but im tryin for more.

Now i have like 10 PSU's sitting around. Now the questions is if i Get a Pelt or 2. Is it really hard to keep condensation from forming? I pics of CPU's with frost growing off the MB i didn't know it could run with frost on it. If i decide to do it could someone point me in a direction of a thread to putting together a Peltier system.
THanks guys

it's not that hard to prevent consensation, you just need to insulate the soccet and area really well. look through this forum, there are guides on how to do it.

you will probably want at least a 226 watt pelt for your CPU, so you will need a pretty massive powersupply. One which can handle at least 25 amps at 12Volts. You could make a powersupply capable of doing this by running a bunch of those computer ones in parallel, but it isn't so simple as to just wire them in paralell with eachother. There are different way to do it, but the easiest is to connect them together with diodes on them, so that they can't "charge" eachother if one of them has a slightly higher voltage.

You also need to put some load on the 5V rail of the powersupplies for them to function properly and not die an early death.

You could also look at buying a powersupply capable of handling the load you have ($$$) or at making your own.

There are a lot of things to consider, so your best option is probably to learn all you can about thermal electric cooling. It's hard for someone to tell you everthing you need to know in a forum. Read this section of the forum, and things on the net. That will give you enough information to go ahead and build the cooler, and you can ask the forum more specific questions.

Ok, cool thx much man. What power PSU would i need for a 226W peltier? Or if you could give me a example of one to use. Yea this is a new challenge for me also i kinda wanna see if i can do it, i would be really pleased with myself. I hope to prove one day to one of the computer buisness around here i know what im doing with a computer. Heh i heard these can make your power bill jump abit in price.

226W Potted Peltier
(potted being sealed around the edges)
from dangerden.com
$38.00
here
they also have the meanwell psu but it is $118 so i dunno

226W potted peltier
from frozencpu.com
$35.00
here

either of these of the one you mentioned should be good

~Magick_Man~

hah i have a problem with taking the pics. The cam i have takes pics and saves them on diskets. And when i got my new case i didn't relize howlong the power cord was and i hid all the cords behind my MB cause they were hooke dup to fans and things i underestmated how short the cords were and i dont have power for my disk drive. I think i mite take it apart tonight and redo it all.

matttheniceguy said:
You could make a powersupply capable of doing this by running a bunch of those computer ones in parallel, but it isn't so simple as to just wire them in paralell with eachother. There are different way to do it, but the easiest is to connect them together with diodes on them, so that they can't "charge" eachother if one of them has a slightly higher voltage.

You also need to put some load on the 5V rail of the powersupplies for them to function properly and not die an early death.

I haven't heard about the diodes, you don't happen to have any links or info on that?

The problem with connecting 2 powersupplies in parallel, is that they won't have exactly the same voltage output. One supply may have 11.8V and the other 12.1V or something like that. This will cause current to flow from the 12.1V supply TO the 11.8V one. As you can imagine powersupples don't enjoy getting current shoved through them in the wrong direction, and it causes some issues.

To keep this from happening, there are a few thigns you can do. One is to put a diode on both of the 12V lines, so that current can't flow in the wrong direction. The main drawback to this is that the diodes will cause a small voltage drop across them. This will make you 12V line onle 11.3V or something.

I have spent about 20 minutes looking and can't find the guide I read that explained how to do all this. It also explained a way to connect them in parallel using MOSFETS or OpAmps or something, that would keep there from being any voltage drop.

If you are interested, here is a guide on how to put 2 powersupplies in series with eachother.

http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/linking_multiple_psu_s_as_one_.php

Sorry I can't find that one guide, it was pretty good. I know I have seen it a few times, so maby you will come across if if you search for it.

I've read the article on procooling

I tried connecting 2x 12V in parallel but one of the PSUs shut down so I figured I was doing something wrong. Maybe I was, but could the problem have been different voltages on the PSUs?

Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll try and see if I can find anything...

EPirate said:

Is it really hard to keep condensation from forming? I pics of CPU's with frost growing off the MB i didn't know it could run with frost on it. If i decide to do it could someone point me in a direction of a thread to putting together a Peltier system.
THanks guys

its all been said really .....Its not hard no just take youre time ..make sure everything is seated down well ..touches cpu die ....and the foam is thick enough to cover the pelt ...good advice here ....

http://www.dangerden.com/Instructions/maze4.htm

what ever you do always remember to place it on youre cpu or this will happen lol.......

Last edited:
Back