• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 1800 Pal A looking to overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ziptac

I caught the bug just reading posts!

Here is a strange thing though, the attached CPU-Z screenie shows my voltage at 3.038. Doesn't that mean trouble? Given my mother board is a ASUS A7V133-C, do I just bump up the FSB to try overclock speeds? Do I need to worry about the voltage?

Attachments

• cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 108
Hmmm. This just scares me. I've restarted several times and the report shows the same. I've checked CPU temp and it is at 67celcius (as per bios). That is with stock components and the comp having been running for several hours. I also run the following:

Geforce 4200 mmx
Audigy 2
PCI lan

I checked the Vcore setting in bios (the only thing I noticed where I could change voltage) and it is set to auto. Please note, I'm really new to this and don't know what I'm talking about. If you need more info, then please let me know! Your help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Ohh geez, 67c?! That poor chip....before you begin overclocking, at least take out your heatsink and clean it out. Apply some new thermal paste, if you have any. I recomend buying a decent aftermarket heatsink as well, but it probably wont help a lot. Pally's never overclocked very well, but you may get 1800mhz out of it(as opposed to the 1530mhz its at now).

Heat sink is cleaned and embarrassingly the temp is down into the low 40's. I looked all over in CMOS and couldn't find the setting that I need to change to fix the voltage problem. Any ideas?

Don't worry about the voltage cause it's wrong. My cpu-z said the same thing. I also have an Asus a7v133-c and I just ran cpu-z to compare with you. About overclocking, you're not going to have any luck because your multiplier is locked and overclocking by fsb are going to throw your agp/pci specs out of whack even possibly damage your components. Now if your mobo is a rev 1.05. (note the dot after, it's important) you can run a tbred on it and overclock by multiplier.

EDIT: I should add that with XPs under 2100 the multipliers only go up to 12.5 as such in my case. If you get an xp2100 or higher you'll have a range of multipliers starting at 13.0

Last edited:
Ok, first of all as wju425 said, don't worry about the voltage, it's just wrong. Get MBM5 (motherboard monitor 5, just google MBM5), it will report the correct voltages that the BIOS is reporting.
I've reached 167MHz FSB on my A7V-133C board, and although it was extrememly unstable, which was due to poor memory, I didn't have any component give in.
I wouldn't recommend going over 150MHz, but FSB OC is possible, and is your only way of overclocking unless you unlock your multiplier.
About the board revision... I have both 1.05 and 1.05. the 1.05. refuses to boot/install ANY version of windows with a TbredB, the 1.05 on the other hand worked perfectly.

Thanks for the fantastic help. After looking around it is quite apparent that the Pal 1800 just isn't the best for clocking. I'll be looking for an upgrade soon anyway. Thanks again!

Oh, and for the record, I've been crashing at 140FSB, so I doubt I'll be getting any sort of real performance boost...

I had a 2100+ (still using in another machine), that I managed to squeeze 2002mhz out of it. I was pretty happy with it.

I used 1.85v, and the temps where always in the 60*c mark, sometimes mid 70*c's on a hot day.

Back