• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC mod question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tony420

I NEED TO CONTACT SILVERSINKSAM, BEFORE I GET ADDE
Hi, I just bought an Whirlpool 5000BTU AC and I wanted to know if anyone knows how to mod the pump so it always stays on...the AC shuts it off once the desired temp is reached then goes back on when it needs to...I would really like to keep it on because with it going my idle temps are 5-8C cpu and 5-8system...when it turns off the idle temps goto about 14C cpu and 10-14c system

disconnect the thermostat, and wire it so it is always on, or move the thermostat to somewhere warm. I think there has already been a post about this on here, look around at other water chiller threads.

Simply disconnecting the thermostat is probably the easiest and most effective way to keep the thing from turning of.

Tony420,

Just take it off. If you look inside there are two wires hooked to the thermostat the ones on mine was red and black the red was the one running from the compressor and the black went from the thermostat to the controller. All you have to do is disconnect the black wire and put the red one where it was.

Lotec25

Freeze it!

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! ill try it out later...

btw what does the thermostat look like? or will I know myself just by looking?

the thermostat will have a metal wire comeing out the back of it. The wire might be copper or it might be regular wire. You cant miss it.

Lotec25

Freeze it!

i found the thermostat...it was hooked up to my front panel that has the temp controlls and the on/off stuff...I unplugged it and the pump or whatever still shuts off...

when lookin in there are 3 wires connected to the pump(i think thats what its called lol)... one white, one yellow and one brown wire...

hmmm, the first time I plugged it in it went for about 2 minutes then shut off the pump for like 3 minutes, then it turned on and has been going for about 15 minutes steady...my temps are 7C cpu and 5C system (drool)

my main concern is how safe is this for the AC? my dad tells me it will get too cold and burn out...anyone know what the possibilities are? and when i leave my pc for a while i will switch it to fan only mode so It wont ALWAYS be running...but whats the ballpark lifespan compared to the lifespan with the shutoff...

another thing I noticed is I havnt seen any condencation from this AC(not even a water drain in the back) .... It is supperior quality and has the best design i have seen...(compared to my other one) so without the water drain and such is this AC even going to last with this mod?

another thing I noticed is I havnt seen any condencation from this AC(not even a water drain in the back)

forget that, there are two TINY wholes on the bottom of the back, right next to the big *** 500MM fan(lol somthing like that) and when lookin in thru the top i see the copper things coming from the pump have water on them and theres a bit of water at the bottom of the unit...

yea mine does the same thing i am checking my liquid right now it will run for a couple mins and then shut down and then kick back on. The object is to run it and let it cool way down and when it is at the lowest shut it off for like an hour or more and then kick it back on with it is not as cold that is why you use a temp gage in the res to watch the temps. Say your max low is -20C in the res when it hits that shut it down and when it gets to say -5C kick it back on. Unless you are modding your mobo your not going to be able to OC it to the point where it needs to have -20C temps. If you want to leave the switch on it like you got it just turn it off no need to leave the fan running just waste power. And where are the pics i wanna see what it looks like.

Lotec25

Freeze it!

I dont have a digital camera :(

So basically after removing the thermostat the pump will run as long as it can before the unit itself gets too cold? It just turned off for about 1-2 minutes then kicked back on

btw is there any unit that I can buy that keeps the cold coming for good? I hate when the cold turns off becuase my temps raise from 7c/5c to 14c/12c

if you take the thermostat off it will run and run and run and run. it will not stop until you turn it off.

and to answer you last question. Jus take the thermostat off. The unit will last for a long time i have not seen one quit yet most of the older guys have had there running for around a year and a half now with no problems.

Lotec25

Freeze it!

i havnt waited long enuff to find out the actuall numbers but, it seems like it goes for 10-20 minutes then shuts down for like 1-5 minutes...I guess I can live with that if thats the final result...I might consider buying a mini heater for the AC unit to keep it just warm enuff to keep going lol

i did unplug the thermostat...it was plugged into the main controll box in the front and was placed right where the filter is

yep that is it. now see what it gets to even the smallest one will get the water down to about -20C.

Lotec25

Freeze it!

what do you mean? I have no way of finding out the temps of the water in the AC...

It just turned off again and I timed it and it stayed off for about 5 minutes exactly, now to see how long it stays on

it just ran 16-18 minutes and turned off...i really really want to keep this thing going non stop and worry about turning it off on my own! :(

Ok so you disconnected the thermostat. Where did you disconnect it from? you might need to actually take the switch out of the loop it still might be detecting it unless you unhooked. If you did take it off and i think you did can you feel the compressor? Is the bottom of it hot or is it cold? And also when you get a few extra dollars you can get a temp gage from walmart for like 10 dollars that is what i got works good so far.

Lotec25

yes i unplugged it...it was basiclly the same exact thing as a diode and I just unplugged the 2 pin connector from the controll box..and the bottom of the compressor is just bearly warm to the touch....not hot whatsoever and certainly not cold...

i think i got around it turning off by reconnecting the thermostat and i used electric tape and taped it to the motor of the fan which stays pretty warm/hot all the time...

another question is when you asked about the compressor being cold...the big part of the compressor is fairly warm but the littler one next to it is pretty cold...I assume this is normal and is still safe for me

Back