• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

big difference between highest clock and highest stable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d4rr3n

I built a pc in december consisting of a xp2500+ (locked :/), nf7-s v2, mushkin lvl 2 pc3200, 9800pro, and a fortron 530w psu. The highest 100 percent stable i can get is around 11x219. I can however boot into windows and run some programs up to 11x240 (after 240 i can only get to bios but not windows).

Heat is not a problem as i have an sp97 (with as5) with a 92mm tornado on it, another tornado in the side panel, and 4 tt sf2's in front and back. Idling at 11x240 i was getting 35/19 cpu/case. What angers me is that on stock cooling i could get prime stable at 11x217 with terrible temps (54 C load). It was 100 percent stable nonetheless. Investing about $100 in MUCH better cooling only yeilded me a 22 mhz gain, not to mention the insane amount of noise that came with it. :mad:

I have tried everything. I ran the vcore up to 2.1, maxed the voltages for the chipset and ram, changed my timings on the ram, even snagged some adata pc4200. No matter what i did i couldn't get prime stable over 11x219.

Is it common to get this big a difference between your highest possible oc and the highest STABLE oc, or have i overlooked something?? It is almost a 300 mhz (12%) difference.

Might be your motherboard. I dont think nf7s handle high fsbs well...i think a mod helped them...L12 mod was it?
Sen, get in here :p

anything over 2300 mhz on a locked new 2500 is a blessing. Some chips just wont hang like others. Im saving for a mobile2600. Mine crapped out at 2300 too. week 47 2500+.

twitch: yeah, i'm not complaining. 2.4ghz is still a decent overclock, but when i can get into windows and actually benchmark this thing a hair under 2.7 ghz and see how good it is...well it's just such a damn tease heh.

hrhrhrFOOT: i was considering looking into some sort of modding and maybe putting a new heatsink on the northbridge (but apparently the best ones wont fit on a nf7-s if you have an sp97 :/ )

But back to the real question of my post. Is it unusual to have this big a difference between your highest stable oc and the highest oc you can get into windows and run some benchmarks with (on air cooling).

Hmm, 2.4ghz? Thats a lot, i dont think you can get anymore out of it short of phase change cooling.

d4rr3n said:
I built a pc in december consisting of a xp2500+ (locked :/), nf7-s v2, mushkin lvl 2 pc3200, 9800pro, and a fortron 530w psu. The highest 100 percent stable i can get is around 11x219. I can however boot into windows and run some programs up to 11x240 (after 240 i can only get to bios but not windows).

Heat is not a problem as i have an sp97 (with as5) with a 92mm tornado on it, another tornado in the side panel, and 4 tt sf2's in front and back. Idling at 11x240 i was getting 35/19 cpu/case. What angers me is that on stock cooling i could get prime stable at 11x217 with terrible temps (54 C load). It was 100 percent stable nonetheless. Investing about $100 in MUCH better cooling only yeilded me a 22 mhz gain, not to mention the insane amount of noise that came with it. :mad:

I have tried everything. I ran the vcore up to 2.1, maxed the voltages for the chipset and ram, changed my timings on the ram, even snagged some adata pc4200. No matter what i did i couldn't get prime stable over 11x219.

Is it common to get this big a difference between your highest possible oc and the highest STABLE oc, or have i overlooked something?? It is almost a 300 mhz (12%) difference.

I would read the sticky in the AMD Abit section. It looks as tho you are yet another victim to the |12 mod.

You must have the |12 mod to go past 220 FSB

So i have to do this to the cpu itself? Like in this picture?

Pinmod.jpg

thanks

Good thing you told me lol. This is my first time trying anything like this so i'm a little nervous. It was actually my first time building a pc or overclocking one as well.

Back