• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with my xp 2500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Biofear

Hey everyone. I decided to oc my 2500 but I can't get a stable speed. Please give me an idea of what I'm doing wrong. I got a MSI K7n2- delta ILSR mobo, 1024 mb of crucial pc2700 RAM running at 2.7Volts. My lowest setting I ran last night was: 200 mhz, multiplier was 11, mem settings were 8,3,3,3 voltage is 1.75 run at 51C (I know kinda warm) with a areo 7 coolermaster cpu cooler and artic silver 5. I ran 3d mark 01 and 03 and passed both tests without crashing but when I go into a game for about 10 min my pc either kicks me out of the game or reboots. Please help, Thanks!...Oooo and also got a 400w PSU.

Last edited:
your biggest problem is probably your ram. PC 2700 is meant to run at a 166 FSB, so at 200 it will usually be pretty unstable. You can try loosening the timings and giving the ram more voltage to get it to work, or buy some PC3200 or better. You could also lower your FSB closer to 166, and increase your multiplier. Something like 11.5*170 might give you better luck.

As always, your best option is to read and learn as much as you can. People here can walk you through anything you need to do, but you will have a lot better luck and a more enjoyable experience if you leanr it on your own and do it mostly by yourself.

Welcome to the forum!! There are a lot of good resources here, and it's a great place to learn. Good luck :)

Like matttheniceguy said, it's probably your RAM. Download an ISO of memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.1a.iso.zip) and burn it to a CD. Change the boot order in the BIOS for the CD first then let it run it's tests. If you start getting errors, bingo, your RAM is atleast one of the factors. Try

1) lowering the FSB
2) playing with the timings
3) giving it more vdimm (2.9?).

Those 3 suggestions aren't in any particular order.

Also, download Prime95 (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm) and let that run on blend and see if you come up with any errors. (My errors usually came either within the few few (1-10) minutes or after about 10 hours.)

Back