• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any benefit upgrading from locked Barton 2500+ to 3000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, no real benefit except a higher locked multiplier.
Better get a mobile 2500/2600+, they are both unlocked and will overclock better than either your 2500+ or the 3000+

I agree with The Coolest. Right now, a 3000+ probably will not max out that much higher than a 2500+. The only advantage is that the locked multiplier is higher, so if you have crappy ram you could probably OC it better.

The best solution IMO is to get a mobile. Not only do these overclock higher than the 2500 or 3000, but the multipliers are unlocked.

Good Luck!
-0cer
:)

The reason I ask is that I have 3 3000+ chips at my disposal. One with a green pcb and two with a brown pcb.

I think I do have an old chip where the multi is unlocked.

Here are the steppings:

Green: AQYHA 0351XPMW

Brown: AQYHA 0401VPMW
AQUCA 0308WPAW

Umm you guys are forgetting most important detail. That cpu will max out way before you even reach 200fsb, i wouldnt do that, just buy a Mobile 2500+

CandymanCan said:
Umm you guys are forgetting most important detail. That cpu will max out way before you even reach 200fsb, i wouldnt do that, just buy a Mobile 2500+

Not if he has an unlocked chip it won't.

phamine said:
The reason I ask is that I have 3 3000+ chips at my disposal. One with a green pcb and two with a brown pcb.

I think I do have an old chip where the multi is unlocked.

Here are the steppings:

Green: AQYHA 0351XPMW

Brown: AQYHA 0401VPMW
AQUCA 0308WPAW

That week 8 one will be unlocked. Don't know about the stepping, I forgot to take a note of mine. But I have 400 MHz FSB version of the 3000XP and in another life it would have ended up a mobile. 2.4 GHz on stock voltages and crap cooling. It just loves going fast. But as I said, forgot to take a note of the stepping.

And having an unlocked multiplier is beneficial as even if you can't get humungous clock speeds, you can at least get optimum FSB speeds.

0308 will not overclock nearly as good as the other two desktop bartons. but is unlocked.
The other two are locked

Basically a year on the manufacturing process is more refined.

In the beginning, not all Barton core processors could do 3200XP speeds, pretty much all can now. Only reason for getting slower ones is because people want to buy slower ones for price reasons etc.

That's not to say that in the past there were no good overclockers, there were, I have one. But with the earlier chips to get 3200XP speeds was the exception, now it is the exception if it CAN'T do them.

I just overclocked a 3000+ Barton with AQUCA 0308WPAW . On PC2700 ram(sig) I have it running at a stable 11x209 @ 2.8v on an abit-nf7-s. Would it be more beneficial if I had good pc3200-3500 ram?

It would probably would be more beneficial to have a better stepping.
I also doubt you're running it at 2.8v either.
Your chip is what's limiting your overclock, nothing else

I think that the AQUCA's were some of the nicest overclocking desktop Bartons ever, on par with the 1700+/1800+ DLT3C's. The later ones turned out worse. I think he means 1.8v...hehe. You can get it to 2.5ghz, I can nearly bet on it.

I think you're confusing them with the AQXEA or AQZFA... the AQUCAs were the very first steppings to appear, they didn't overclock that well. Also the older Bartons, pre-week 25ish weren't that great of overclockers.

The Coolest said:
It would probably would be more beneficial to have a better stepping.
I also doubt you're running it at 2.8v either.
Your chip is what's limiting your overclock, nothing else

Your'e right. I'm running it at at a stable 11x209 @2.7v rather than 2.8v. Anything below 2.7 at this speed I won't be able to boot.

I'm going to try to see what I can get the locked chips to.

i have a aqzfa week 47 at 1.9 11x209 2300mhz and its semi stable. I dont use prime i just plays games hardcore for about 5 hours and if it dont freeze im happy. I also think my desktop barton will go higher if i had a better mobo, my biostar doesnt like goin over 210fsb. I have pc4000 hyperx running at only 2.7. I have a nf7-s on the way that im hoping will let me hit 2400. Also im on water with 41 idle 53-54 load. U guys think ill be able to hit 2400 with the nf7???

[/QUOTE]
by phamine:
Your'e right. I'm running it at at a stable 11x209 @2.7v rather than 2.8v. Anything below 2.7 at this speed I won't be able to boot.
Do you mind telling how long are you running this chip and what are your temps?
I think you mix VCore and VDimm still.

by phamine:
Do you mind telling how long are you running this chip and what are your temps?
I think you mix VCore and VDimm still.

I have been running this chip for over a week at that speed. My temps are 38c/25c at 23c ambient temperature.(running on air)

What do you mean by mix vcore and vdimm? My vcore is 1.65 and my vdimm is 2.7.

Last edited:
Back