• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question about power supply, currents and stability.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Runner30

The overclockers buy known-brand powersupplies with overkill numbers.

This is reasonable, the more power it can handle the more stable it runs at low power output. (Parralel to Hi-End audio systems - the more power it can give, the more quality sound is made at low/reasonable volume)

The thing I don't understand is what importance has the current?
They say the more the better. "minimum 16-18A from 12V line" someone advised me.

P=I*V, so if you have more current , you will have more heat, and if you get less current, you can raise the voltage and gain same stability and same heat interaction.

My question is, what's the importance of the current variable then?

Thanks, Gil.

Its the maximum rating of current the PSU can supply, meaning if you just run a harddrive on the +12v line, it will supply only the small amount of current the HD needs, but if you power several HDs, mobo+OCed chip + some fans + lights, a PSU with a weak +12v (Low As on the output) line might not be able to handle all that, and you'll start to see the 12v dropping. and even causing unstability if its low enough, not saying also stressing the PSU by a large bit.

Back