• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The NewCastles are HERE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In the GCPUID utility, is the CPUID string 8000_0001h EAX[31:0] being read?

The older 754 model w/ 512 KB L2 (ClamHammer cut-down L2), the string is 00000F4Ah (model number end with AR),
and the newer 754 model w/ 512 KB L2, the string is 0000FC0h (model number end with AX).

Both are CG rev.

Can a new version of GCPUID be made to show the string 8000_0001h EAX[31:0], in additional to the existing rev such as C0, CG.

I think F4Ah is for ClawHammer and FC0h is for the new NewCastle. Then GCPUID can identify ClawHammer and NewCastle.

Last edited:
GCPUID is already capable of identifying all kinds of different hammer procs. There is a certain problem tho, it seems to crash on some A64s. I trying to find the reason to why would it work on some but not work on some others :\

Would like to know some more technical details.

Are you using the CPUID string 8000_0001h EAX[31:0] to distinguish between ClawHammer and NewCastle.

F4A for ClawHammer
FC0 for NewCastle

And
AP for rev C0
AR for rev CG
AX for rev CG

From
Revision Guide for AMD Athlon™ 64 and AMD Opteron™ Processors
25759 Rev. 3.23 April 2004

Attachments

• a64_erratum_108.jpg
    a64_erratum_108.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 133
Great... Amd and their problems :p
I'll add that to GCPUID, thanks for the heads up. I doubt that is what really causing the problem though... 240 Opterons for example are showing giberish instead of the platform. I will have to take a more carefull look at my code and see if I can fix this issue i'm currently having. The processor in that thread tho, clearly shows up as a Ch, unless CPU-Z author has already fixed this problem in v1.22

Back