• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Higher FSB means higher Vcore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suma

Hey guys,
I just saw something strange, when I want to run 2650MHz with my 2600M I need 1.9v bios setting (actually 1.85v in load), but if I want to run 240 FSB, and DC I need 1.95v bios, which means 1.875v-1.925v in load. (I can run 240x11 SC with 1.925v bios)

I'm using an Abit NF7, mods are in sig, also using 2x BH-6, one Corsair Pc3200C2 and one Kingston Value Ram 333.

Did anybody had the same simptoms? or simliar behaivior?

Suma.

Generally you need higher vcore for higher fsb...not automatically but, yes I noticed same thing...its just like needing certain voltage for certain mhz...the chip needs so and so voltage to do that fsb...I have found even lowering the multi still wont help... wierd M-2600^^

Yep, this phenomenon is become more and more common as all you guys start breaking 2500MHz and 230MHz fsb's easy. It showed up for me when I was trying to get 2.7GHz stable on my T-Bred; it would only make it at up to a 210MHz fsb, even though it did 230's easy at 2.6GHz and below. Once you get the fsb or CPU pushed to its breaking point, you will needed either more cooling, more voltage, or both.

Let me try to answer this indirectly, in general terms, ....

It may well be as follow, FSB interface and FSB circuitry in a CPU when clocked above certain high FSB (e.g. above 220-230 MHz), its circuit delay becomes a critical timing path in a CPU and may fail the clock cycle or FSB cycle requirement if not enough voltage is applied, ....

hitechjb1 said:
Why high voltage is needed to run higher CPU frequency (and maybe higher FSB)

Higher Vcore is necessary to get to higher frequency but not sufficient for stability. To get to stable high frequency under load, it requires both high Vcore and low enough temperature for a given CPU and for a given cooling setup.

This is why:

CPU (chip) is made up of many transistors (towards 100 millions for Tbred/Barton, 100+ million for A64) forming logic switches to perform logic operations. Physically, each transistor is connected to some capacitors which are inherent in the transistor gate dielectric and coupling between connections and the underlying silicon. In order for the transistors to switch and perform the required logic function physically in a given CPU cycle, electric current is needed to charge and discharge these capacitors (100 millions+) via the corresponding transistor switches.

Such switching current (usually known as Idsat) through a transistor depends on Vcore, the higher the Vcore, the larger the current (a property of transistor, without going into details here).

That is,
the higher the Vcore is,
the higher the current,
the shorter the time to switch a transistor to do a logic operation,
the shorter the cycle time of a pipeline in a CPU,
the higher the CPU frequency (and FSB).

Ref:

Vcore vs processor frequency and cycle time (page 19)

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2767407#post2767407

Personally I havent noticed this phenonomen. Personally I think that there is a cap for both frequency and FSB.
No amount of voltage will make it any better or worse, or atleast I havent noticed.
From what Ive found its a combo of both. Pushing the envalope wont/dosnt work

Back