• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning M-2600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tony420

I NEED TO CONTACT SILVERSINKSAM, BEFORE I GET ADDE
Upon looking at my M-2600 after cleaning it with isopropyl alchohol it looked nice but, looking at it in certain angles I see the darkness of as5, cleaned off but left a dark color when looked at from cerain angles. Im sure everyone knows what I mean cause this has happend to all 4 of my bartons one way or another no matter how clean I try to keep them(AS always manages to find its way just the littlest ammount off the core). Does anyone know how to rid of this darkness?

i use a cuetip, what else?

Tony420 said:
i use a cuetip, what else?
I just cleaned my M-2500's AS5 that spilled off the core today using Isopropyl Alcohol, a cue-tip, and a towel... that worked pretty well. Got all of the AS5 off at least.

doc6886 said:
I just cleaned my M-2500's AS5 that spilled off the core today using Isopropyl Alcohol, a cue-tip, and a towel... that worked pretty well. Got all of the AS5 off at least.

I second that, it always works for me.

it cleans it yes, but look at your chip from all angles...you will see

i think unless you lap your chip which i really wouldnt recommend then there will always be a small amount left there.

I have always used a small amount of WD40 on a q-tip to clean off artic silver. Just make sure you follow it up with a good cleanign with alcohol or it will leave some residue.

is it really safe to clean the chip with a qtip and alcohol? i have a lot of as5 that is slipping off my die and i only have one mobile chip left. don't want to damage it all but its getting messy. :p

It should be fine, I have done it to all my CPUs and never harmed a one. Just be careful not to leave a whole lot of fuzzies on the die. Just pick em off with some tweezers.

cellulose (cotton) on die = very bad (may find a little crispy next time you remount hsf) It's a horrible conductor of heat

Alcohol does help to keep the cotton on the tip to a certain extent, I have noticed.

You can buy q-tips that are made out of a foam-like material that won't leave lint behind. Women use them for makeup application I think. They would probably work too.

Back