• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nOOb building Athalon64 seeks CPU advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
VIA's boards always strike me as a little iffy, regardless of what people may say. I would recommend the Gigabyte K8NS Pro, which has the new nForce3 250 chipset, and locked PCI and AGP buses. For a CPU, pick any you can afford and you should be all set. Most of them today should turn out to be NewCastles, with 512mb of cache. They clock higher than the ClawHammers before them, but at the cost of performance/MHz.

Welcome to the forums

Assuming and as you said you've decided a motherboard, so I assume the socket type is a 754.

The one important thing you have to decide is whether you want a 754 with 1 MB L2 or a 754 with 512 KB L2.

The 1 MB L2 754 CPU is based on ClawHammer core.
Older 512 KB L2 754 CPU is based on ClawHammer core with 512 KB disabled.
Newer 512 KB L2 754 CPU is based on NewCastle core.

The difference between 1 MB and 512 KB L2, on the average over many applications is around 2-10% (rough estimate). For accurate evaluation, it should be done on a program or program group basis.

1 MB L2 754 CPU has the option of either a mobile DTR or a desktop model.
512 KB L2 754 has only the desktop model (as of today).

For either the 1 MB or the 512 KB L2, look for the CG revsion (some/many vendors are still carrying C0 revision).

Model string ending with AR and AX are CG revsion.

Model string ending with AX are 512 KB 754 with NewCastle core. (I think this is correct, need more confirmation).

This thread contains lots of information about A64 CPU's, chipsets and motherboards, ....

A64 CPUs, chipsets, motherboards

Here is a comparison between the NewCastle and ClawHammer cores. The ClawHammer is preferable because of the cache, although the NewCastle does seem to scale a bit higher. In the end though, it seems that the ClawHammer should win out. It appears that the ClawHammers are being phased out, so you may want to spring for one while you can. I'm not sure what steppings are being found today in the Clawhammers, but I think it should be possible to find some CG-revision ones. The 3200+ DTR from newegg is guaranteed to be a CG stepping, but comes with a couple of complications.

First have to decide on what L2 size first.

The price difference between a 512 KB and 1 MB may well be justified if cost is a key deciding factor.

Further, the new 512 KB 754 NewCastle CG rev (model string ending AX) has the 2800+ model which is well below $200 and should overclock as good for price-performance.

PS: Look at 939 platform also, all bets about 754 is off if 939 is being sought.

Here assuming limiting choice to 754:

There have been reviews of some 754 motherboards with Nforce3 250 GB (with GB), hope should be on the street very soon.

The MSI K8N Neo is one that has received good reviews and it has x5 multiplier for the HT bus.
Other good motherboards may be coming soon, if can wait a little bit more.

I think for good price performance,
- a 754 2800+ with CG rev, 512 KB L2, NewCastle core (CPU model AX), under $180 (?), target overclock to 2.5 GHz+
- or a 754 3000+ (other as the 2800+) which has x10 multiplier for overclocking
- a 754 motherboard w/ 250 GB with 5X HT setting, such as one above
- SLK-948 (or wait for the heat pipe version)
- 2 x 512 MB memory
(IMO, this combo is coming to a point that it is considered a better choice than a Nforce2 w/ mobile Barton for a NEW build, even considering price).

For around $100 more
- a 754 3200+ with CG rev, 1 MB L2, DTR (CPU model AR)
- other same as above
- would get above 2 - 10% better average performance, in game, ....

If can wait, there is always the 939 to wait for, ...

This link have some more info about motherboards, chipsets, CPU, various multiplier setting, CPU model numbers, benchmark analysis, ...

A64 CPUs, chipsets, motherboards

Last edited:
Back