• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Mobile 2500 800mhz?? Huh??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dr.Rockin

Registered
Hay there, ok I just got this system together, and I'm still just configuring it, Can someone explain why my cpu is reading at 800mhz? Running 133Fsb and 13.5X I havent changed any settings yet in bios, I wanted to get all periphal components installed first? I'm running this on an asus A7N8X E Deluxe Bios 1009. Ram is just some Kingston 512 PC 3200 I ripped outa my other asus system, Still looking for some good memory. But Why is this reading at 800mhz? Thanks:cool:

I have the same problem on my XP2400-M/A7N8X-Dlx... use a 12.5 multiplier, for some reason our boards don't do the multipliers over 12.5. (What's up with the 133FSB? You can do atleast 175mhz FSB with that premium hardware.)

Once you get it up and running (FAST) you can use Folding@Home to test stability (and help find cures for some horrible diseases).

Try using, for starters, 12.5x133 or 12.0x133. Just see if it runs at that speed. If it does, start increasing the FSB. The FSB increase will provide much more performance than a multi overclock. Try 12x166, or some other speed around there, and then keep on upping it.

I wouldn't want to use F@H for stability testing as a processor that isn't stable will provide erroneous results. I'd use Prime95 instead.

Actually Folding will kill (delete) the WU and put a note in the log that system instability was encountered. I use both, but I have seen PRIME95 can give fake errors (P95 will show an error overnight, but F@H will run stable 5+ days without killing a single WU).

The way I check stability is run Prime for about 15 minutes. If prime is ok for 15 min I run F@H. F@H has flushed out all instbility I have ever encountered within ~20 minutes... i.e. if F@H runs more than 20 minutes it will run for days or weeks on end (which it does).

Also check out this wire trick thread for XP2400-XP2600 MOBILE CHIPS ONLY.

Last edited:
Problem is I'm going by factory bois settingsa I havent changed anything, Just took another look its 133 X 14.0 AND that gives me 800 mhz? the math totally aint there. is there something in bios I'm missing or something?/

Well thanks for the help, I'm trying to get my hard drive stable. I dont know what happened but I didnt even get everything installed and now the hard drive is messing up windows. So I'll have to replace it then try again, Man I've had the board and Cpu for 2 weeks now I'm just itching to overclock. Shhh dont let the government hear this they might try and ban it like a bad drug...... Then again you CAN spend allot on overclocking aperts. ya know the rule Ya wanna play ya gotta pay lol, Well I'm hoping to get 2.8 outa this I just figured out how to hook up my Air conditioner to the side of the case, was running sandra last night for 4 hoiurs before the hd and the cpu was running a nice 4 degrees celesuis. This A/C unit had a dry feature which helps with any condinsation, board was cold and dry, Now to GW Scan the hd and see where the probblem is,
Still cant figure out why my cpu is commin up at 800 mhz? I think I might contact the company I bought it from. maybe I'm just missing something, but I have a 2500Barton Locked at 333 and it posts 1833 factory.

I'm telling you chancge the mult to 12.5 or less.

*summons thugs*
Go convince Dr. Rockin to change the multiplier below 13.
*diismisses thugs*

ok, changed the milti, working now with 166 X12.0 @ 1.625V Just running a gwscan on my drive, Dang thing is only a few months old and has errors in the boot sector
I started with 11X and now stepping up to 12. Cant go very far on this memory, I am looking for some new mem, but havent decided yet. Thanks for your help

I *Think* memory is mostly affected by FSB, not total Mhz (FSB x Multiplier) Any your chip is rated at 1.45v so you should be plenty stable with a 12.5 multiplier being that you are 0.20v over stock.

ohh, just noticed you have PC3200 memory. That stuff is good for 200Mhz FSB... PM me and I'll help you through the OC process.

Back