• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AthlonXP 2600 @ 1.25Ghz WT? Please Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NMkiD

Registered
Hey fellas I finally got all my new stuff in, had to format my har ddrive anyway, lost all my friggin e-mail, liek 4 years worth (****) anyway I have everything installed but my computer detects my CPU as running at 1.25Ghz.

I have a MSI KT4V and I installed that Fuzzy Logic program that lets you change the FSB and voltage, etc, etc, right now here is how its set:

12.5 x 100.0

1250.0 Mhz

CPU
1.65 (or 3) Volts

55'C

CPU temp = 50%

CPU Fan Speed 4115 rpm

I tried setting the FSB to 176 to equal 2.2Ghz but it hung on me and when it restarted it was back at 1.25 in the bios (even tho it says 1344.0Mhz in this fuzy logic program, so maybe I needed to change the voltage too, I don't know, maybe I just need to change stuff on the real bios instead of in this program, please help me out fellas, thanks!

PS This is the info that 3DMark 2003 gives me for the CPU:

AMD AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1.3 GHz
Manufacturer AMD
Family AMD Athlon(tm) XP
Internal Clock 1.3 GHz
Internal Clock Maximum 3.0 GHz
External Clock 100.0 MHz
Socket Designation Socket-A
Upgrade Socket A
Capabilities MMX, CMov, RDTSC, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
Version AMD Athlon(tm) XP
Caches
Level 1 128 KB
Level 2 256 KB

PPS Did I mention random hard crashes?

NMkiD

Last edited:
First off, the stock speed speed of a mobile is 600mhz, so you have to set it manualy. Try 133x11, you should pull that off easily. The reason you can do 176fsb is because you have a kt400 board, you max out at 166. So 166x12.5 is all you can get with your current board, or 2075mhz. If you want 2.5ghz, you need an nforce2 motherboard, like an NF7 or A7N8X.

Another important factor in overclocking is your ram. What is your rated for? PC2100 is rated for 133(266)fsb, PC2700 for 166(333) and PC3200 for 200(400). To get 166fsb, you will need at least pc2700 ram, though I strongly recomend at least pc3200.

The last thing I would recomend is better cooling. 55c?!?! Thats realy hot for 1.2ghz, I run 2.5ghz at less than that. Dont expect to get much out of a chip that locks up from overheating when its underclocked. I recomend an SLK based heatsink from thermalright and a 92mm fan of your choice.

Heres my system. I have 2x512mb sticks of PC3200 in an A7N8X-e deluxe nforce2 motherboard, and a mobile 2600+. I run 200x12.5(2500mhz) with 1.625v. I have an SLK-947 heatsink with a clear 80mm silent case fan, and I get 52c load.

had the same prob

Go into the Bios and set the multiplier to turbo or normal and the bus to 166, this will give you the 2600+ at round ~2Ghz. If ya want faster you can go to 180 and you'll get a 2800+ any faster and i recommend ya get a new heat sink, I have the volcano 12 and have it running at 200.

I have 2 sticks of 512mb DDR333 ram, I think thats 2700 but I have some heatsinks to put on them, also my computer keeps restarting, I found and fixed a not turning PSu fan @ 500watts but it still keeps crashing before I can even finish writing you guys.

Also I can change the voltage, what shold that be?

Set your FSB to 166MHz, that should fix your issues. Also look into better cooling as at only 1250Mhz your chip is running pretty hot.

It hasn't crashed yet... however it is running at 2075Mhz

It says 12.5 x 166

CPU 1.65 Volts (so this is ok? it says I can go up to 1.85 I think)

Also I have the side of my case off, and a huge fan blowing in it, but it still says: 61'C

I ordered a thermaltake Volcano 11+ and should get it tommorow and I have some artic silver too, I will put that on tommorow and hopefully my heat will come down...

I'm gonna put those heatsinks on my memory tonight as well, and my PSU has 2 fans, my case has one in the door, one in the front 2 in the back, my 9800 fan and my CPU fan, (all stock) this seems like it should be good enough...

BTW the guy who sold it to me swore that it ran at 2.2 Ghz, never overclocked, is he full of **** or did he have some other way of attaining this speed? I just upgraded from a 4xagp p4 1.8g so I think I'm jsut trying to make myself feel like it was worth it.

Whats with the Athlon 2600 = p4 2.6 "theory" is there any truth to it?

thx *alot* fellas!

2.2ghz is overclocked for that chip. He lied. Also, the V11+ isnt the greatest choice of heatsink. The volcano's are loud and not competative price for price against an SLK heatsink. You should be just fine with it though. You voltage of 1.65v is fine, but you might want to try lower to reduce heat. My mobile, as I said above, does 2500mhz with 1.625v, which is less than yours.

Also, putting memory on your ram wont help at all. Are you talking about heatspreaders or little heatsinks? Either way, they are completly cosmetic on anything less than PC4000, and even then it only helps if you are overvolting your ram a lot and have bad case airflow. Which brings me to another question, what are your case temps? They should only be 1-3c above room temps.

Ohh, and a 2600+ should be about as fast as a P4-B 2.6ghz at stock speed, maybe a tad bit slower. When comparing to the C's, it doesnt hold true.

Do you guys think it coudl be these cat 4.5 drivers that make my computer restart... its actually liek my monitor turns off but I can still hear my computer on, I have ti hold down the power to power off then turn it back on, is it my drivers causign thse random crashes??? I have a radeon 9800...

*****, I just threw in my geforce4 mx420 video card and it has *no* problems so far, I tried like 3 different sets of drivers for that friggin radeon 9800. when I switched out monitors my crappy one was able to recover fro mthe tweak out where my other one stopped altogeather, there was an error message from ati saying that the VPU recover kicked in and that there was an error and it had to restart, it was crashing there like every 5 minutes, no kidding.

I just bought that 9800 not even 6 months ago, I'm still skeptical but it seems to be the culprit, so I dont know what happened.

Back