• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2600+ question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BiTRaTE

Hi all, just joined the forum.

I had some questions about my rig.

AthlonXP 2600+ Barton (stock fan+heatsink)
Abit AN7 mobo
Kingston HyperX 512MB RAM (1:1 setting)
MSI GeforceFX 5900XT (oced)

I unfortunatly, against my better judgement bought a barton 2600+, duh, the stupid thing is locked. Well that i gotta deal with.

I tried overclocking the cpu but dies at about 2.2 (I get 2.14, semi-stable)

I was wondering, what are some better methods of overclocking or any thooughts anyone may have that would help me overclock this " bad boy "

P.S. Was going to buy a Zalman fan+heatsink, good or bad? if bad whats better?

Thanks Everyone!

Did you mean to buy the unlocked mobile version? I would send it back if I were you, my mobile 2600 is a week old and I just hit 2500mhz easily on air cooling.

Hmmm, no i didn't know that the barton 2600+ was locked at the time of purchase.
I bought it from newegg.com, don't know if they will let me exchange it for the mobile.
Do you know what i should tell them so they'll let me do an exchange? Thanks.

Yeah these other guys know better than me but they have been locking all desktop chips for a while now, so unless you buy a mobile your chances are pretty slim it will be a chip from before week 39 or whatever, when they started locking them. you can still run your FSB up on that one you just won't be able to change the multiplyer. On the other hand; Newegg is known for their excellent service, you could try letting them know that you wanted an unlocked version a.k.a a 2600 mobile and just see what they say. I mean at least then you would know while remaining honest. I don't know, I would think its worth a try.

Back