• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock complete

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mucho Gonzales

Registered
i posted here about my first overclock and i just wanted to say that i got everything back together and it's all running great :thup:

i'm running the FSB at 200Mhz with the multiplyer set at 10 for 2.0Ghz.

i uped my core voltage to 1.75 (tho the monitor says it runs a little higher than that) and under load i'm running at about 55 degrees C. i tried 2.1 Ghz but it quickly broke my 60 deg. C ceiling.

next steps will be a new heatsink/fan and a new power supply (my current one came with the case and isn't too good).

i ran prime95 overnight to test for stability using a testing method from another site, but i don't have the link here and cannot find it. i ran two instances of Prime 95, one testing 'large' and one testing 'small'. i noticed when i woke up in the morning that the tests had started to repeat themselves. no errors--i figure it's stable.:)

Nice overclock :)

The board often supplys a bit extra power - ie 0.005v extra or something just to help stabiliy.

hmm, i'm going to check what i have my V core set to exactly tonight, but i think i'm talking about fluctuations as large as 0.050V (total range of fluctuation).

i think i currently have it at 1.75V, but i think it runs at like 1.776 most of the time.

The A7N8X overvolts about .03v from my experience. Can your run your cpu at lower voltage? Try 1.65v and 200x11. It should stay under 60c if your cpu can handle it. My old non mobile did 11.5x200 with stock voltage fairly easily, so you probably can attain it.

i'll try that.

i was assuming that running overclocked without increasing the voltage was bad for the processor. i didn't actually read that word for word but i got that impression from somewhere. maybe not 'bad', but it was just better to increase the voltage as you overclocked.

should i only increase voltage if unstable?

yea you should try to increase the vcore if you notice any instability. also adjusting your mem timings might help as well

nope, can't do it.

i started with the multiplyer at 10.5 (still with the 200 Mhz FSB) and put the Vcore down to 1.65. windows started but the computer immediately restarted. i slowly increase the voltage, all the way up to 1.725, but prime95 kept causing the computer to restart, and by then my temperatures were way too high.

i put it back down to 10x200 and am running 1.725V. running prime95 the system levels off at 57C, normally under 55C during normal gaming load.

i'll just have to wait for a better power supply/heatsink/fan to go higher.

thanks for the insight tho! :)

just invest like $30 and get a nice copper heatsink and a good fan. Seems like cooling is a problem since the temps are high for 2.0ghz. It's a start but with good heatsink you are almost gurenteed 11x200 with almost default voltage.

Back