• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What can I expect from Mobile 2600+ and chilled H20?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mustanley

I just ordered a Mobile Athlon XP 2600+ from newegg and another NF7-S (to replace an A7N8x-Deluxe 2.0) and was wondering what I could expect to get out it with chilled water cooling. This current setup netted me 2536MHz on a Barton 2500+ at 1.9 vcore (see machine 1 in my sig). Diode temps at that speed and vcore hovered around 20C.

It depends very much on the front side bus. At 210, you could be looking at around 2.8GHz or higher quite possibly, but once you start pushing past 230, that could quickly drop a hundred MHz or two.

Side track, not answering the original question:

Would you consider spending, for a NEW build,

$100 more to get an A64 754 512 KB L2 + 250 GB motherboard

or

$100+ for an A64 754 1 MB L2 + 250 GB motherboard

for replacement (may have to wait a little bit more though to get a good board and CPU, assuming you can), this may bring some more fun. Reusing other components, may need a new HS though.

I estimated an A64 would perform 15-30% (depends on L2 size) better when clocking CPU's at the same frequencies.

For price performance NEW build system, an A64 754 + Nforce3 250 GB is becoming a better choice than Nfoce2 + mobile Barton, as of May 04. This is the reasoning.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2770023#post2770023

I agree. In fact, this is what I've been advocating for the past month, but no one seems to want to hear it. My two cents, the best price/performance/practicality option is a 2800+ NewCastle paired with an inexpensive K8T800 board. Performance should loosely match a Barton at about 2.3-2.4GHz or so, no overclocking required. Blasphemous to mention here, I know. :D

Gautam said:
I agree. In fact, this is what I've been advocating for the past month, but no one seems to want to hear it. My two cents, the best price/performance/practicality option is a 2800+ NewCastle paired with an inexpensive K8T800 board. Performance should loosely match a Barton at about 2.3-2.4GHz or so, no overclocking required. Blasphemous to mention here, I know. :D

At that time, it was a bit early. The 250 GB board were not available (you can always argue that 150 chipset is as good which I don't agree).

Further, the new NewCastle core, CG revision and its various speed 2800+/3000+/3200+ and L2 size varieties were not that readily available for price performance pick and tradeoff.

The 3000+ NewCastle, for $20 more, may be a better pick for its higher x10 multiplier than the 2800+.

Also a month ago, the price differential was higher than today.

Even as of today, we may have to wait a bit more in order to order. Probably the time for a new A64 price-performance system is still 2 weeks away.

Sorry, for the side discussion.

Mustanley said:
I just ordered a Mobile Athlon XP 2600+ from newegg and another NF7-S (to replace an A7N8x-Deluxe 2.0) and was wondering what I could expect to get out it with chilled water cooling. This current setup netted me 2536MHz on a Barton 2500+ at 1.9 vcore (see machine 1 in my sig). Diode temps at that speed and vcore hovered around 20C.

As a rule of thumb, I use every 10 C lower in temperature, the CPU can be clocked higher by about 4% stably.

So say, if 2.6 GHz is the norm for mobile Barton on air at 45 C,
35 C would be 2.7 GHz
25 C would be 2.81 GHz
15 C would be 2.92 GHz
5 C would be 3.04 GHz

If a chip happens to be slower, say getting 2.5 GHz on air at 45 C,
then subtract 100 MHz in each of the above numbers correspondingly.

Last edited:
here is what i had (with the L-12 pin mod) (sig):

AMD 2600 Mobile (IQYHA 0348 XPMW) @2700 MHz (12 x 225) 1.95V -Abit NF7-s rev2 - L12 pinmod - Bios: Tictac Sub-Zero - Mushkin 3500 1G DC (2.5,3,3,10) - 36G Raptor - HomeBrew 2 loop cooling: 2 pumps, 2 rads 1 Polytop WW, 1 custom res - Active (2x60mm fans + HeatSinks glued) Mosfets

after redoing my cooling (3x pumps 2x rads 1x WB) i was able to get 230x12 = 2760 MHz @ 2.06V

then without the pinmod, i have 211x13.5 = 2848 MHz @ 2.15V and could tighten up mem to 2,2,2,10.

without the pinmod, >215 FSB wont post but with the mod, >2.06V wouldnt post...

this is all on (crazy) HIGH end H2o but NOT chilled.

a thread with some pics: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296206&pagenumber=2

GOOD LUCK

PS all these are 12+ hour Prime95 stable

I'm plan on waiting till the socket 939 A64s are affordable before I build a new machine. I have a dead mobo here that needs to be replaced, I can't really afford to sink money into an A64 cpu and mobo along with a mew A64 waterblock. I also don't want to wait around for several weeks saving up the cash for those components and have no use of that computer in the meantime.

I would imagine that a mobile barton @2.7GHz would be equal to an overclocked A64 3000+ or even 3200+. Thanks for info.

Ordered Monday from newegg, arrived today (shipped from NJ) and it seems I got the sought after stepping on the that 2600+ Mobile - IQYHA 0351MPMW

Hopefully I will have time to get everything assembled tonight and have some preliminary OCs to report.

Mustanley said:
Ordered Monday from newegg, arrived today (shipped from NJ) and it seems I got the sought after stepping on the that 2600+ Mobile - IQYHA 0351MPMW

Hopefully I will have time to get everything assembled tonight and have some preliminary OCs to report.

Looks good, looking forwards to the results on chilled water.

Hey must! That is the exact same chip that I just bought and it is overclocking very well. Still waiting on my OCZ EB 3500 though, it went to my house yesterday but I was stuck at work so it was put back on the truck again :(

Let me know what you get yours doing as I am sure mine will be similar!

The Geil memory I have does 220 FSB CAS2 with 2.8 vdimm, so I'm hoping this new NF7-S will go at least that high.

After a bunch of headaches, I'm testing it out at 2500MHz on 1.60V. I went straight to that speed and vcore (200x12.5) and it looks stable. Ran overnight at 200x12 (1.60V) and temps are so much lower than my desktop 2500+. Load temps reported from the socket are 10C, which happens to be 10C lower than my desktop 2500+ @2500MHz and 1.90Vcore.

I'll have plenty of time to fiddle with it this evening. If I can break 2750MHz, I'll start a new thread, otherwise I'll just post the results here.

Gotten up to 2800MHz (200x14) with 1.85Vcore. Has primed for about 30 minutes so far and is looking good. What is safe vcore to go up to on this mobile? At stock speed the socket temp was 8C and now we are up to nearly 35C.

Mustanley said:
Gotten up to 2800MHz (200x14) with 1.85Vcore. Has primed for about 30 minutes so far and is looking good. What is safe vcore to go up to on this mobile? At stock speed the socket temp was 8C and now we are up to nearly 35C.

Congrats. It looks like you have a winner chip.

As you probably know, the absolute max voltage for mobile Barton should resemble a Tbred B DLT3C since I could not find the actual data for mobile Barton. And a Tbred B DLT3C's max voltage is 2.05 V (estimated from the link below).

But I usually do not rely on such max numbers on voltage and temperature, since the max stable temperature and voltage for most cooling setup (air, water, chilled water, ...) are generally below those max absolute numbers.

If the voltage and temperature are increased incrementally (say 25 mV per step) and stability tested along the way, the final max stable overclocking should be settled naturally, at certain balancing point of voltage and temperature, ....

Also from what I estimated, at 35 C, 2.7 - 2.8 GHz is about the max for frequency, unless you can further lower the temperarture under load.

Originally posted by hitechjb1

Technically, CPU temperature and CPU stable frequency vary inversely, higher frequency requires lower temperature for stability and lower frequency can work stably at a higher temperature.

E.g.
- A CPU can run stably at a much higher temperature (e.g. 60+ C), at a lower Vcore and lower frequency (e.g. 1.4 - 1.6 V, 2.2 - 2.3 GHz for Tbred B/Barton) than its intrinsic ideal max frequency.

- A CPU needs a much lower temperature (e.g. under 30 - 45 C on air or even lower for extreme cooling) to run stably at high Vcore for sustaining a higher overclocking frequency (e.g. 1.8 - 2.0+ V, 2.5 - 3.0+ GHz).

The higher the voltage and frequency, the higher the power and the higher the temperature. Such active power will increase the CPU to certain temperature under certain load for a given cooling.

Since carrier mobility decreases as temperature increase beyond certain temperature due to lattice scattering, transistor switching slow down as temperature increases. So the frequency f of a CPU varies inversely with the temperature, or df / f = - k dt, mathematically.

The balancing of these two opposing actions, or the intersection of the voltage-frequency curve and the temperature-frequency curve of a CPU characteristic naturally determines the final stable voltage/frequency/temperature operating point. If overclocking is done properly, the maximal overclocking should settle naturally at certain frequency, voltage and temperature, as desribed above, below the maximum absolute rating of voltage and temperature (as seen from Tbred/Barton, ...). A perceived stable voltage and temperature setting may not be necessary after all, if the voltage, temperature, frequency variations are monitored properly and adjusted incrementally.

CPU voltage: from stock to max absolute, from efficient overclocking to diminishing return (page 19)

Last edited:
I'm stopping for the night at 222x12.5 (2775MHz) to let the thing Fold. Still not done tweaking, but I'm getting close. I guess I could crank the vcore up to 2.0 or 2.1 just for a bit to see what it's capable of, since I'm currently only at 1.85V.

I'm pretty happy with this Geil (2x512 pc3500) ram running 222 FSB at 11-3-2-2. It was pretty cheap when purchased.

Since the chip can run at 2.8 GHz (or close to) stably at 1.85 V, and it was mentioned earlier that it was at around 35 C, I think there is a good chance that you can get a 3+ GHz screen shot (not necessary full load stable) if higher voltage is applied.

If a chip is stable at x MHz under full load, x + 200 for cold boot screen shot is very feasible, which would bring it to 3 GHz. If possible, try to get a Sandra CPU benchmark also.

To do that, boot up the CPU cold (< 10C, assume you use chilled water) to get highest possible CPU speed for screen shot. You may have to wait a bit each time to get the CPU as cold as possible during cold boot for the highest CPU frequency.

Increase voltage 25 mV incrementally each time to test for new, higher CPU speed. Don't jump the step too aggressively at high voltage for safety since one cannot tell a priori what is the highest voltage the chip would stop to respond (due to heat and current increase) for higher frequency, until the chip is tested.

If you aim for highest CPU frequency in the test, you may have to backdown the FSB, get the right multiplier combination so you can fine-tune/adjust the CPU frequency by increasing FSB 1 MHz each time.

Seems as though I got a little too ambitious with this chip. I'm afraid I killed it with about 2.05 - 2.1 Vcore. I was looking at the BIOS screen, temps were in the mid thirties and then the screen froze. Now it will not boot, even when I clear the cmos. I'll keep trying to resurect the cpu, but it's probably in vain.

It posted twice at 3000MHz at 2.1 Vcore, but wouldn't load windows. It died while I was trying for 2900MHz.

There went $100 down the drain :rolleyes:

*EDIT* Found the cause. The water in my chiller froze cause I was messing with the thermostat probe. The ice in the chiller stopped the flow in my loop. Gonna let it thaw for a bit then we'll see if the cpu can be salvaged.

*EDIT-2* Everythings OK, after the thaw, cpu is working again. Quite a scare though.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, hope it works again.

Glad to hear that, it works again.

So what the possible explanations that it did not work (looked dead even after CMOS reset) and now is working again.

From my estimate as in an earlier post, for stable 3 GHz, it would require CPU temperature down to around 5 C. For quick cold boot for screen shot, it has to be done fast and avoid any heavy load in order to minimize temperature rise which would lead to system crash.

For chilled water, what is the lowest intake and CPU temperature you can get during a completely cold start.

Last edited:
Back