• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

restarting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walkitiki

My computer will randomly restart, often at a very inconvenient time for me :( . I have a AMD Athlon XP2200+ with the stock heat sink/fan. My motherboard sensors say the CPU is at 85°C, I'm assuming this is too high and that's causing my restarts, how can I remedy this problem in the most practical manner?

walkitiki said:
My computer will randomly restart, often at a very inconvenient time for me :( . I have a AMD Athlon XP2200+ with the stock heat sink/fan. My motherboard sensors say the CPU is at 85°C, I'm assuming this is too high and that's causing my restarts, how can I remedy this problem in the most practical manner?

That is absolutely too high :eek: and I am assuming that if the motherboard sensor is saying 85C, your internal diode temperature is potentially 10C higher (sockets tend to err on the small side).

I would strongly reccomend finding some way to cool the system down. You've got the symptoms of overheat...

I think I may as well buy a new heatsink when I decide on one I like for its purposes and aesthetics, however I am wondering if I have done damage to my CPU and should consider buying a new one of those?

if it damaged, then you'll need a new one...consider a mobile if you have to get a new socket a preocessor....and get a thermalright heatsink

After the probable purchase of a new heat sink,I would check your air flow set up, because you definitely want air moving over that heat sink to dessipate the heat. My rule of thumb is, you want a enter and a exit point for air. Read this guide, it might give you some ideas.

try to rest the heat sink there definitivly a bad contact between the heatsink and the cpu .remeneber to apply artfact silver 3
and you will be ok

I will check the heatsink and how it's situated when I get a chance, the odd thing is it just all of a sudden started doing this and I haven't even opened my case in months, could it have just gotten free like that?

idk i would open it and check ASAP like next time u have a free 5 min.....that is WAY WAY to high are u oc and what are ur voltages....if u ask me i think that ur fan stopped....the random re-starts are from the mobo shutting u down.....man that is WAY to high....

I checked and the fan is running, so poor contact is causing this problem? There is no overclock, the FSB is set at 133 and the voltage is 1.660V

Would it be possible for the motherboard to be misinterpreting the temps and shutting down uncessarily? Sorry, I am just throwing up ideas....

It is possible - but I would strongly recommend removing and reseating the heatsink with a fresh application of thermal compound.

makaka said:
try to rest the heat sink there definitivly a bad contact between the heatsink and the cpu .remeneber to apply artfact silver 3
and you will be ok

i believe meant to say arctic silver 3.

walkitiki said:
Would it be possible for the motherboard to be misinterpreting the temps and shutting down uncessarily? Sorry, I am just throwing up ideas....

to check this, touch the heatsink.. unless it's poorly conducted, it should burn your hand at 85c. (so don't touch it for too long)

heatsink is very hot..and I'll go get some artic silver from a nearby friend this afternoon and apply it tonight. Wish me luck..

if the heatsink is hot it may be conducting just fine. as5 may not help much. you can either try replacing the stock fan with something more powerful, or even better, just replace the entire hsf.

I pulled the HSF off, and nearly burned my hand it was so hot..All that was on there was the crap that comes on the bottom of the stock heatsink. I think I will be replacing the HSF and the CPU (I think it needed an upgrade anyways..probably use this one in a different rig with a different HSF)..so unless can tell me this could not work then I'm just gonna go ahead and get on newegg.com When I pulled off the HSF, there were some irregular marks on the core, I'll take a picture and post it up later.

Back