• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can overclocking ruin Windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raider84

I have been getting my fair share of BSODs while trying to maintain a stable overclock, and recently Windows stopped booting up and i had to get a friends computer to run chkdsk on my hardrive to get windows to boot up again.

Also I've noticed that my "unmoveable" section in the defragment color map has now disappeared (Im assuming from all the BSODs). Anyone else have this problem? Is there any way to fix it besides reinstalling the operating system?

Raider84 said:
Can overclocking ruin Windows?

Yes. I've seen it happen.

File corruption is a very real possibility when overclocking. There are some safeguards against it happening, but they don't always work. Once your processor or memory gets overclocked past its limit, it starts outputting logic highs for logic lows and vice versa, then, it's only a matter of time:eek:

Edit: That unmovable spot is probably your page file, if it has somehow become disabled it would disappear, and WindowsXP really hates having no page file.

Like georgelogy said, instability causes hard drive corruption. That can easily screw up a Windows installation.

When you can, it's good to do some stability testing outside of Windows. Memtest86 is a good tool for that. Won't cover all kinds of instability, but it'll at least let you know how your memory is doing.

The unmovable space is your MFT or Master File Table and I dont think windows would like not having that.....

Raider84 said:
and why do you want to lock the agp frequency? will it not boot if its higher the 66|?

AGP 2x, 4x and 8x runs at 66MHZ. if this is not locked, then it can cause instability on the BUS, as u dont want to run the frequency beyond this.

the PCI bus on your board will be independantly locked to 33.33, regardless of the AGP speed. this lock is essential, because if the PCI bus is run out of spec, this can also cause instabilities.

Back