• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP-M2600+, NF7-S rev2 d21 issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

F@TMAN

Registered
Installed XP-M today, booted up and got siren (indicating CPU overheated), reattached CPU block (h2o) and booted into BIOS - posted, so CPU is NOT dead IMO, changed FSB/Multi to default (board doesn't recognise CPU).

Boots into Windows, upon "welcome" screen PC shuts down. Is not a heat issue, BIOS reports 31 degrees after this shutdown. Booting into safe mode, get error message referring to page file, then shuts down. Also, after booting from XP installation CD, PC shuts down after drivers are loaded. Runs Memtest86 fine. Notice, these occur at stock - CPU is NOT overclocked!

Will updating BIOS assist in any way? Has anyone experienced anything similar? Is my CPU dead?

NF7-S rev2, BIOS 21, XP-M 2600+ 0351MPMW, Hyper-X 3200, WinXP w/SP1, only components I feel may contribute to error. Thanks in advance...

PSU issues perhaps?

I'm using an Antec TruePower 430W (with 1080AMG), that SHOULD be enough to power the following (considering I'd had no such problem with same setup in sig for around a month now):

LDW401S DVD burner
Liteon 16x DVDROM
WD800JB
3 1/2" FDD
R9800np "built by ATi"
2x80mm Antec case fans
2x120mm Sunon case fans

Will try to boot with minimal setup tonight to further diagnose:
Liteon 16x DVDROM
WD800JB
R9800np
1x120mm Sunon

*UPDATE* Last night, was getting a BSOD "Unmountable boot volume" in both normal and safe modes, a fix has been suggested here, has anyone tried this method? Are there any risks to data on other partitions, or to my boot partition?

This may explain the "Unmountable boot volume" problem, from here

We believe this is happening because Windows XP is shutting down or going into hibernation mode before all files are properly closing. When the computer is turned back on, the files that were not closed are corrupted - sometimes preventing Windows from booting

So, the fact that I kept on booting, and inevitably my PC shut down, has caused the boot volume problem, which MAY be fixed...as to the reasons for the premature shut downs, hopefully my tests tonight will uncover that!

When it over heated did you get a burning smell? Have you tried upping the V-Core? Or you messed up your OS...... Time to reload..?

Well, I don't remember any particular smell, but IMO if I had cooked my CPU, I doubt I'd be able to even post, let alone boot into windows, right?

Well, I tried the PSU load issue, but that didn't fix it either, so obviously my CPU block isn't resting properly on the core (ie an area of the CPU is overheating)...My assumption is that there's a small section of the core that's being exposed to more air than other parts, and overheating, which is resulting in the PC shutting down.

I'll try to reapply the block over the w/e...

Last edited:
Fixed the issue, which turned out to be a BIOS setting - "Shutdown on CPU fan failure". Considering I'm running h2o, this would explain why the PC would consistantly shutdown! Also fixed the "Unmountable boot volume" issue, after the PC managed to stay ON for more than a minute!

Goes to show, don't overlook the simple fixes - this is what saved me here! Finally got my XP-M running, load temp 31 @ stock, that's nice!

Let us know how far you o/c that baby.

If i can run 2.65Ghz on mine on air cool, you should be able to hit at least 2.7Ghz. there are some guys out here with WC who are able to hit 2.8-2.9Ghz.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

I notice you've got yours running @ 221 Mhz, Kenshiro, is that with an L12 mod? I'm reluctant to apply it to my board (I tried in vein with some telephone wire - too thick to allow the cpu to sit in the socket), and I'm hoping it won't hold me back too much!

The other thing going against me is my RAM - although I currently have some BH-5 memory, I've ordered a DC-kit (2x512MB CH-5 Hyper-X DDR400) and there's not too much documented on how this memory performs - I've read that regardless of VDimm values, CH-5 based memory regulates its operating voltage to the standard 2.6V (I could be wrong).

Regardless, once everything's in place, I'll milk my XP-M to the max and report back!

Back