• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd athlon xp 2000+ to 2400+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JIZM_KAT

simply by changing the FSB in the BIOS of my motherboard, Jetway KT266B, up to 160 Mhz, i managed to get my xp 2000+ to register and run correctly, as a 2400+, however i could not get the FSB any higher, as from there on the CPU would not boot, but <160Mhz, it ran fine and fast! Why could i not go any further?

There are a couple reasons I can think of:

1) The CPU will just not run any faster. If its a Palomino cored XP2400+ then 2GHz sounds about right for its ceiling.

2) Increasing FSB also increases PCI and AGP speeds. Thus your video card and PCI cards may be running above their rated speeds.

re: overclocked palomino

i can't lock my agp/pci slots to any frequency, which is unfortunate. is there any harm being done to the cpu when its running at 2ghz, if the core is sitting at 40 degrees c? the agp card is an mx440 agp4x, the pci cards are a 10/100ethernet card, and 56k modem, and a sound blaster 5.1 sound card. will the o/c do much damage to them if they're only at 160mhz?

Re: re: overclocked palomino

JIZM_KAT said:
i can't lock my agp/pci slots to any frequency, which is unfortunate. is there any harm being done to the cpu when its running at 2ghz, if the core is sitting at 40 degrees c? the agp card is an mx440 agp4x, the pci cards are a 10/100ethernet card, and 56k modem, and a sound blaster 5.1 sound card. will the o/c do much damage to them if they're only at 160mhz?

40C is actually a nice cool temperature for your CPU. Your best bet is to keep it under 50C if possible, 60C is getting way to hot and over 50C isn't best.

Overclocking will shorten the CPUs lifespan, but considering they are built to last 10 years, and you will probably replace it within the next 5 years, it shouldnt have a noticably short lifespan.

One thing you might want to try is 166MHz. I'm not sure if the Jetway board has a higher divider but if it does it will kick in after 166MHz.

Basically just now your PCI speed is 1/4 of your FSB, and your AGP speed is 1/2.

133Mhz/4 = 33MHz
133Mhz/2 = 66MHz

At 160Mhz:
PCI speed is 40MHz
AGP speed is 80MHz
Seems kinda high.

Hopefully at 166MHz and above the dividers will be 1/5 for PCI and 2/5 for AGP, making them run at their proper 33 and 66MHz.

thanks dude i'll give that a shot next time i reboot the machine. it always sits at around 38 degrees c when im doing heaps of stuff, memory intensive sorta stuff, that puts the cpu load up to 100%, it goes no higher than 39. Ever. I'll try what u suggested, and if that fails, i'll let you know!

JIZM_KAT said:
thanks dude i'll give that a shot next time i reboot the machine. it always sits at around 38 degrees c when im doing heaps of stuff, memory intensive sorta stuff, that puts the cpu load up to 100%, it goes no higher than 39. Ever. I'll try what u suggested, and if that fails, i'll let you know!

You might want to try something like Folding@Home (see here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108580) for a few hours and watch the CPU temperature.

Back