• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do what to do

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

y0bailey

Alright right now i'm running the rig you see in the sig.

I recently ordered a mobile 2500+, some more ram (1gig which i will go in either rig that is faster) and a nf7-s. I'm building my parents a new computer and they are gonna get the slower of the two computers.

The thing is I dont feel like ripping my rig apart until i know for sure that the mobile will beat out my 3.4 p4. so roughly what type of overclock on your mobile would you swap out a 3.4 p4 with HT.

It's a damn mystery for me

(ps - i don't encode, mostly just **** around and game and benchmark).

I think you may get more response if you post it in the general CPU section, rather in the specific AMD section.

How far do you intend to O/C that barton? If you just push it to a 3200XP, your current pentium is definitely faster.

In general, the Pentiums C core are definitely faster that the Atlhon XP.

alright i will post in general CPU section...no more responses!

hitechjb1 said:
What is IPC and how to compare cycle or Hz for different CPU architectures

A CPU has many functional units, such as integer unit(s), floating point unit(s), instruction decode unit, control unit, instruction schedulers, register files, cache, ..., for executing instructions (compiled program codes) and performing computations. More and more functiions are integrated into a CPU as transistors are shrinked smaller in size in each new generation of silicon technology. As a result, multiple instructions can be executed during a CPU cycle.

IPC stands for instructions per cycle, the number of integer or float point instructions executed per clock cycle in a CPU. In CPU arithmetic benchmarking, a set of defined (CPU/cache intensive with minimal memory access) programs are executed to measure the average instructions per cycle.

Based on Sandra CPU arithmetic reference CPU (these numbers may vary for different Sandra versions, so don't take it as absolute).

XP Dhrystone integer IPC = 7829/2080 = 3.764
XP Whetstone floating point IPC = 3180/2080 = 1.529

Comparing with a P4B,
P4B Dhrystone integer IPC = 8164/3060 = 2.668
P4B Whetstone floating point IPC = 1717/3060 = 0.561 (w/o SSE2)
P4B Whetstone floating point IPC = 4009/3060 = 1.310 (w/ SSE2)

Ratio between XP to P4B (w/o SMT):
Dhyrstone integer IPC = 3.764/2.668 = 1.41:1
Whetstone floating point IPC = 1.529/0.561 = 2.73:1 (w/o SSE2), 1.529 / 1.310 = 1.17:1 (w/ SSE2)

Comparing with a P4C w/ 2 SMT,
P4B Dhrystone integer IPC = 9858/3200 = 3.081
P4B Whetstone floating point IPC = 4062/3200 = 1.269 (w/o SSE2)
P4B Whetstone floating point IPC = 7139/3200 = 2.231 (w/ SSE2)

Ratio between XP to P4C (w/ 2 SMT):
Dhyrstone integer IPC = 3.764/3.081 = 1.22:1
Whetstone floating point IPC = 1.529/1.269 = 1.21:1 (w/o SSE2), 1.529/2.231 = 0.69:1 (w/ SSE2)

Using another version of Sandra (see next post), to compare with a P4C (without SMT)
XP Dhrystone integer IPC = 8404/2200 = 3.82
XP Whetstone floating point IPC = 3465/2200 = 1.575

P4C Dhrystone integer IPC = 7869/3200 = 2.459
P4C Whetstone floating point IPC = 2365/3200 = 0.739 (w/o SSE2)
P4C Whetstone floating point IPC = 4325/3200 = 1.352 (w/ SSE2)

Ratio between XP to P4C:
Dhyrstone integer IPC = 1.55:1
Whetstone floating point IPC = 2.13:1 (w/o SSE2), 1.16:1 (w/ SSE2)

That is, for executing codes specified in each of the benchmarks,
e.g. comparing an XP with a P4C w/ 2 SMT,
- For Dhyrstone integer arithmetic, 100 AMD XP cycles will do the same computation as about 122 Intel P4 cycles
- For Whetstone floating point arithmetic, 100 AMD XP cycles will do the same computation as about 121 Intel P4C cycles (2 SMT, w/o SSE2), or 100 AMD XP cycles for 69 P4C cycles (2 SMT + SSE2),

In summary,
- 1 AMD Hz = 1.22 P4C Hz (2 SMT) for integer arithmetic (based on Dhrystone benchmark)
- 1 AMD Hz = 1.21 P4C Hz (2 SMT) for floating point arithmetic (based on Whetstone benchmark)
- 1 AMD Hz = 0.69 P4C Hz (2 SMT) for SSE2 floating point arithmetic (based on Whetstone benchmark)

Example,
- A XP/Barton running at 2.5 GHz is as fast as a P4C 3.1 GHz (= 2.5 x 1.22) running in for integer computation in terms of raw CPU power.
- A 2.8 GHz Barton would perform about the same as a 3.4 GHz P4 in integer arithmetic.

The benchmark codes are usually CPU/cache intensive to test CPU and require little or no memory access.
The IPC numbers vary with CPU architechture, so XP/Barton will be different from A64, ...., and can be measured accordingly.

How to interpret Sandra CPU benchmark, IPC and comparing with P4 (page 2)

What is cycle time and frequency

Frequency, clock, period of synchronous operations, latency

Analogy on Bus Speed, Bandwidth and Latency

This link shows the screen shots for the Sandra run used for the IPC calculation in the last post.

Overclocking a mobile Barton 2400+ to 2.6/2.7+ GHz on air (page 18)

hitechjb1 said:
Analogy for comparing CPU cycles

To summarize the technical details, simply put:

For XP and P4 (with 2 SMT),

P4 can be clocked roughly 25% higher than an XP.
But an XP executes about 25% more instructions per cycle than a P4 (for integer arithmetic).
So both are roughly a tie in term of number of instructions executed per sec (a performance measure).

For details,
What is IPC and how to compare cycle or Hz for different CPU architectures (page 19)

The 25% is derived from benchmarks, and it may vary slightly for a different set of program codes.
Since it is roughly a tie, so both sides should be happy.

For an analogy without using computer terms, one may say

A person called P4 walks 25% more steps per unit time than another person called XP.
But the step of XP is 25% longer than the step of P4.
So both would travel the same distance over the same period of time.

The analogy is:

clock cycle <--> foot step
cycles per second <--> foot steps per second
instruction executed <--> distance travelled
instruction executed per second <--> distance travelled per second (a performance measure)

cycle time = 1 / frequency

What is cycle time and frequency

so i would have to reach 2.8ghz to be equal to my 3.4p4 HT. that sounds hella high

Based on that set of benchmark of Dhyrstone and Whetstone, that is the frequency number to equate the two CPU's for integer and floating point CPU raw power.

But benchmark numbers can be off by few % points (say 5%), depending on how the tests are set up and what system parameters are set in the bios, .... So don't take those numbers as 100% rigid.

Just like mentioned in the above thread, some other tests revealed that the ratio can be 1.28:1 instead of 1.22:1, and it put Barton at 2.66 GHz at same level of P4C 3.4 GHz HT enabled.

Further, those benchmarks are for comparing CPU raw power, it does not take into account the system performance as a whole, ....

For specific programs, or similar group of programs, they should be benchmarked case by case.

Like most people say, P4 has an advantage for programs like encoding and programs that support SMT, and XP/Barton is preferred for gaming, .....

So unless the system is needed for competitions such that every point and MHz count, I do not worry about difference that is within 5-10% in daily usage.

The Pentium 4 is also a very strong contender in gaming. Based on 3DMark01 and 03, 2.7GHz or so is about even with most 3.4GHz P4's. Talking to some P4 owners, it seems that HyperThreading can be very helpful in everyday usage, and give the system a smoother feel than non-HT enabled processors.

In another benchmark analysis,
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2751785#post2751785

hitechjb1 said:
- A64 FX-53 performs about 32% better than a Barton, both CPU at 2.4 GHz, FSB 200 MHz
- A64 3200+, 3000+ running at 2.0 GHz perform about 10% and 8% respectively better than a Barton at 2.4 GHz.
- A64 FX-53 at 2.4 GHz also outperforms a P4 3.2E at 3.2 GHz by about 15%, and outperforms a P4 3.2 EE at 3.2 GHz by about 10%.

So it shows that over a set of benchmark tests which cover a wide range of programs (see link for details), a Prescott P4 3.2E at 3.2 GHz performs better than a Barton at 2.4 GHz on average by about 17%.

That's very interesting, and certainly makes quite a strong case for the P4. Sounds quite reasonable; my T-Bred at 2.5GHz seemed to compare with Northwoods at around 3.2-3.GHz. Another thing worth consideration is that when the P4 gets overclocked, memory bandwidth increases drastically. OT, but you wouldn't happen to have any Intel plans, would you, Hitechjb1? ;)

But from that benchmark, a FX-53 in 130 nm at 2.4 GHz which a 939 would resemble performs 15% better than a Prescott 3.2E in 90 nm at 3.2 GHz.

The Barton (130 nm) would have to get to around 2.8 GHz to get even with the Prescott (90 nm) 3.2E at 3.2 GHz w/ SMT in that benchmark test.

If I had to chase the last point and last MHz of everything, I would have put my CPU under ice water or LN2 first.

so the consensus is 2.8 on the AMD for it to match my current rig?

y0bailey said:
so the consensus is 2.8 on the AMD for it to match my current rig?

I think so.

PS: Maybe 2.7 GHz, .... To be exact, one would really have to test that out side by side with well defined set of programs.

Back