• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaptainBabs

I am now officially having a bad day.

I just got a Biostar M7NCD Pro MB with a Barton 2800. I had 768 MB of PC 2100 ram to put in the three ram slots. I tried to start it up, but go a series of long beeps. My co-worker (who is not home right now) told me to reset the CMOS and the bus should drop to accomodate the RAM. I do this with the jumpers as per the manual and reset. Immediately the RAM in bank 3 starts smoking like crazy. Shut down computer and pulled all RAM. There is some small amount of charring in bank 3 on the board and since 2 connections are burnt off the offending RAM I can pretty safely assume that the burnt stick of RAM and that bank are fried for good. My question is...

Did I fry the board? How would I test this? How might I be able to actually get the thing running (Hopefully with two sticks of ram that are still working)

Thanks,

Feeling Stupid

Did you reset the CMOS in the following way?

1) Turn off the PC and turn the PSU off
2) Short the jumper momentarily
3) Remove the jumper before powering on?

ergle! sounds bad.. im guessing your board had a defect.. theres no .. "burn the ram alive" jumper son motherboards these days

[edit] two more things..

A) a computer won't boot while the clear cmos jumper is closed and
B) i think you can actualy clear the cmos while the machine is on.. as the bios is only used at start up? right?

[edit edit]

if the board is new .. it looks like a RMA jobby if the board isn't new... looks like you need a new motherboard

[edit edit edit]

i think .. i think i know what cuased it .. check in your motherboards manual .. some motherboards have 3 ram slots but can ONLY run 2 sticks at 400 or 3 at 333 .. but if you wiped the bios.. god knows.. possibly you got the wrong jumper?

[edit edit edit edit]

to test it.. borrow somone elses ram. i don't think its wise to risk more ram on that machine ^_^

unless. you can be sure that the jumper that you changed was definatly not clear cmos. though usualy cmos jumpers are the only jumpers on modern motherboards.. and there usualy located near the battery

Last edited:
In reply to two posts above...

Set to clear jumper with power but not PSU off. Then booted with jumper set to clear bios (Pins 2 & 3). As reply #2 said, this shouldn't have even booted, but the thing just powered up and started smoking from the third RAM bank. Have the system at the local computer shop to make sure I only wasted the board and onesticks of RAM rather than all of the equipment (500+ bucks I think)

Back