• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

Im building my mom a computer and need a near silent (small fan) computer. Which is going to be running cooler. 1700+ tbred, or 1.8 duron. Or 2500+ mobile? Thanks. The stock 1700 keeps overheating and its one of those small form factor cases with a crappy heatsink... I've done all I can to improve the cooling too.

How about a mobile T-Bred? Those would run a little cooler than mobile Bartons and are close to half the price.

Either a duron or a mobile will run coolest. Why not duct a larger fan to the heatsink though? Even in a SMF case, 60<80 wouldnt be hard.

Skiing Squirrel said:
Im building my mom a computer and need a near silent (small fan) computer. Which is going to be running cooler. 1700+ tbred, or 1.8 duron. Or 2500+ mobile? Thanks. The stock 1700 keeps overheating and its one of those small form factor cases with a crappy heatsink... I've done all I can to improve the cooling too.

The mobile may run cooler with undervolted and underclocked specs.

But I doubt it'd run much cooler, probably about on-par or a few degress differences with the 1700+. As long as it's a tbred b.

I'd bet the duron would run hot, being cheaply made. Or more sensitive to warmer temperatures.

Up to you, all I'm saying is it might make more sense to save money and buy a tbred.

Performance would be better on the mobile for sure.

Default voltage on a duron is 1.5v. With an sk-7 and good case airflow(no cpu hsf) I get 36c load in my 2nd rig. Less cache=less voltage used.

The durons have always run hot (not as hot as the old T-Birds), but I'd go for the T-Bred 1700+. Being that they are 0.13m, they don't have to run as hot as the older models, not to mention that the 2500+ mobile is a barton with a 0.18m (or is there a T-Bred 2500+?).

no the mobile 2500+ is a barton but could get a mobile 2200+ which is a t-bred B and mobile so it should run cooler like Gautam said.

Back