• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tec cooled my NB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

I decided to tec cool my NB with a homemade cold plate (or modded heatsink so to speak),cheap 53w tec or something like that i pulled it from a tec minifridge,and xaqua chipset waterblock to cool the hotside. My radiator is junk so my water temps are HIGH causing the temps to be 86ºF after the water warms up when the system is first started up or water is "cold" temp is 66ºF. Just thought id say it with you guys. Big difference as compared to my 96ºF temps on air. Btw its a nforce2 chip and my old cooling was a zalman passive as for plain water before the tec i was getting temps of 89ºF. It also allowed me to move my fsb up 20mhz as well as my vcore.

Very nice. PICS PICS!! You will definatly need to start thinking of getting a quality radiator in there. You will most likely get even more out of your system if you do. Congrats on the 20mhz and keep up the good work.

-JS-

I have pics but no way to host them etc. As for the rad haha id say so. The one I have now is some generic senfu one when my load is the cpu,nb tec (like 53w),and videocard tec (80w). Air temp blowing off of it is 101ºF+ :\ and the water is hot hot hot.

If you want system specs and/or are interested in how I did this let me know and ill be glad to give the info.

What are you using to power the TEC? Just your main power suply? Hehe we need to work on your wire management. Also did you put dialectic grease over the back of the mobo and around like you would a CPU? Sorry about so many questions, but I like to see how you did it.

1. yes im using the psu

2. right now i could give two ****s about the wiring

3. yes i used dielectric grease and that foam stuff...one side of it is sticky like tape and it sticks really good to stuff especially after it sits awhile so i put dielectric grease then around the edges left it clean so the foam could stick

4.as for how i did it i took the factory/stock heatsink and cut off all the fins/whatever thingys then sanded and filed it down until it was nothing but a flat plate w/ mounting holes then i lapped it up real good....i then used thermal epoxy and epoxied the "plate" to the cold side of the tec....and the waterblock to the hotside....i then used the mounting holes on the plate to mount it straight to the mobo as you would with any other heatsink for a nb....i would have used bolts,nuts,and springs but i cant drive yet so i had no way to go get any

Changed my psu at the same time so that may have also helped but yea I did.

creepy said:
If you want system specs and/or are interested in how I did this let me know and ill be glad to give the info.

i would like to know the specs:)

board = a7n8x-e deluxe

card= radeon 9800 pro (getting rma'ed right now so im using a ti200 as a sub.)

ram= 512 corsair pc-2700

cpu= athlon xp 2000+

the higest isn't stable 4 nothing but sandra and a few tests on 01 but it is 185*13(2405) and i kust barly edge it out by about 100 points in each(save 4 the one my cpu don't have suport 4)

Thats cool....I used to have a 2400+ till i broke it and then i got the 2000+ because i was low on cash and noticed that the 2000+ could oc more. The only thing holding me back right now I think is my memory being that I have 333 running at 404

LOL look at my ram and u will c what is holding me back......right now as i am selling the CPU and ram i am just running it as a 2700 and my mem at 166 at 2-2-2-11 cas 2 belevie it or not that gives me alomst as good of bandwidth at 166 as i got at 184 at 2-2-3-11 cas 2.5 so i "think" that i might have to fool with it some more and c what i can get like this....idk i don't want to fry something b4 i can sel it to my freind...lol then i will fool with it in his box....or let him....i'm getting a mobile 2600 and some adata pc4000.....at least i think that is what i want....i like the 2-2-2-11 at cas2 ALOT so i might look 4 some GOOD 3500 or 3200...idk time will tell lol

I was wondering how you mounted it and how thick the cold plate was. It looks like your using a dangerden block? I was looking into a TEC on my NB and I was wondering would you do it again? Does that WB cover the TEC completly? Thanks dude.

Back