• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could u cut up a peilter to put on vid card mem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dukemurmur

Could i cut up a 226 watt tec and put it on the RAM on my Vid card i know that if i can it will be ALOT of work but will it be worth it?

From my knowledge no. It would be like taking a light bulb in a series circuit....cutting the wire and trying to make it still light up

in theory you could do this, but they are made of ceramic which makes them VERY hard to work with, and you would have to rewire it, and i don't even know exactly how they are wired....

it would be a lot easier to just watercool the memory, and if you want sub zero temps, chill the water with the pelt or something.

that would be WAY to much heat even 4 a 226 watt tec especilly once u consider oc in there.....well i know that (or think i do) that one side is pos and the other is neg and that is all there is to the wirring.....i have the tools to cut it up....i was just wondering if it could be done......as i am thinking about it along with Chilled water on the CPU, vid card and vid card mem with tec's on the mem and core, and NB......idk if i will ever do it but yeah......i want to do the TEC on the mem......idk but i would like to know if any one has sucsefulyy even cut a pelteir and had it still work...also if i do try this i should get a smaller sized pelt or a larger one as it is "better" cooling 4 the larger one even on a smaller scale or is it that they cool better because they are just larger?

ok, the wireing to the pelt has a positive and negative (actually it doesn't, you can hook it up however you feel, they are the same, it will just switch the hot side) but inside the pelt are rows of thermal junctions, the things that actually pump the heat. I don't know if they are wird in series or parallel, but since most pelts take about the save voltage i would guess they are in parallel. If you manage to cut the thing between these jusnctions you should be able to do it, but it won't be easy.

how large are these junctions that we are talking about here....like if they are spaced at normal not OVERLLY close intervails then i can do it....if they are CLOSE then it is a lost cause.....so i guess that this would b a no go then??

if we are talking about bga ram then those 15*15mm petiers should fit,
a little bit to big, but i dont think that you will be able to get much closer to the correct size if you hack a bigger one up. im not sure if 12.5W are enough though.

EDIT: did you read my link?

no srry i didn't c that......i will take a look at it....i "think" that they may put out more then 12.5 watts.....i'm really not sure.....this is on my 9800pro at 454/384 so i think that it will be closer to 15 i'm not "really" sure does any one know as a "fact" what they put out like within 1-2 watts at that speed?

if any thing i would use the 20/20 it would be bigger but cool MUCH better. Could these be cooled with air until i get my chilled water setup going?

like with "normal" ram hs? or would i need "more" like a cut up AMD hs with the LARGE fins and then a fan blowing ontop of that....also how much r those lil 20/20 TEC's?

depends where you get them. It's really kind apointless TBH, but hey experiments are fun.

You would need some massive heatsinkage. Like massive. talking cut up swiftech/alpha pin heatsink with big powerful blowing on it.

to coole those reall not like 1/8th of an stock AMD hs with a little fan blowing on them each? or a 40mm fan to cool them? idk this is just 4 fun if i do do it if i do eventualy they will also be cooled with chilled water.

but also u have to think that i could put some MAJOR volts through that ram with that kind of cooling and get a WICKED oc.....

well i think it is possible but i just opened up an old dead tec and it is extremely fragile on the inside
and this is what i found
4cb5

4cb7

hope that helps, just say if you dont understand the pics

~Magick_Man~

if you think of it, 8*20W would be 160W in total that you will have to dissipate. for that kind of heatload you need a really decent heatsink and serious airflow. its possible, but it wont be a silent solution. but maybe those 12.5W modules are even enough!?

Yeah i under stand that fine did u use SoldiWorks 4 that?

I will be cooling each TEC with it's own "little" hs and maybe a small fan for each or a 60mm fan 4 each 2 ram sinks with a pretty large HS on them...not sure when i got Solid Works installed again i will draw up a picture 4 u all with what i plan on doing so then it will all be clear...lol if worst comes to worst it will b drawn in paint if i don't have the time 4 SolidWorks.

Back