• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juice175

Registered
I had to rma my motherboard and so that requires I had to remove and reapply the thermal paste on my cpu and heatsink.

Well the first time I did this, I did it with no problems. But now it seems I'm not appying or seating the heatsink right.

I apply the thermal paste lighting on the cpu and as even as possible and from what I see none of the thermal paste runs over when I put the heatsink.

I also applied the paste to the heatsink and then wiped it off with a lint free cloth so the heatsink has a tint like it should be.

But everytime I boot the computer up it powers up and about 7 secs later it shuts down automatically. Nothing appears to be out of place or connected wrong.

The only thing I'm worried about is if the heatsink it making good contact with the cpu or if I damaged my cpu.

So my question is first, what could be making my computer shut off like that, could it be the cpu getting to hot or did I toast my cpu. And second if it's something I can fix, what is the best and most efficient way of applying thermal paste?

Thanks for any help.

try taking off the heatsink and seeing if there is an even distrabution of thermal paste on the heatsink. You should see a nice even square on the heatsink that matches up to the processor. It sounds like your motherboard is sensing the temperature is too high and shutting itself off to protect it. BTW what motherboard/proc are you running. Let us know what the bottom of your heatsink looks like, or better yet post a picture :)

Ir0nman

I'm running an abit nf7-s motherboard an an amd 2500.

I remember looking at it and it seems like a pretty even square on the bottom. I'm just worried about if I messed up my processor...=/

Someone at work gave me a few tips on re-applying the thermal paste, so I'm going to try that but like I said, I hope I didn't mess the chip up.

Some mobo's will shut down if the CPU fan is not running. Did you plug your CPU fan into a different plug on the mobo other than CPU1?

Yea, the cpu fan is plugged in and running. I'm thinking it has to be the temps.

NF7 doesnt need a CPU fan plugged in...

Crazy question, but do you have you heatsink installed backwards?

How many beeps does the board give you?
tried to clear the CMOS (its a new board right?) as that can help sometimes

You plugged the AUX 12V power in correct?

When you say the heatsink installed backwards....isn't there just one way it can go, where the clamps on the side clamp down?

If so that could be the case....since this my first computer I built...I could be overlooking that. My heatsink is a thermalright, slk 900a. If that helps.

As far as I can remember I just get one beep on start up and then it shuts off.

And the power connectors are all plugged in firmly and tightly.

the side with the grove cut out on the sinks base goes over the top of the socket that says "Socket A"

There is a raised section on the socket and and indention on the heatsink to fit it. The clamps on the heatsink might be on the wrong side of the socket. This will cause the heatsink to not mount flush with the cpu core and cause problems like you are describing.

I did this once with an old Athlon 1.2GHz chip and everytime I started the system would reboot or lockup. I didn't do any damage to the processor, I just had to remount the heatsink and I was back up and running.

Thank you. I certainly hope it is that I just mounted the heatsink wrong. I hate to have damaged my chip. Thank you all again...=)

Back