• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New NF7-S and Mobile 2600 preliminary results!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gize

Registered
Well guys I have said I would post when my memory arrived and I finally have something to tell you.

first off let me just tell you all this talk about the new NF7-S's being poor quality is not true or I should say, not from my experience. I just bought mine about two weeks ago from newegg. I bought my mobile from newegg as well. Here is my setup.

Mobile 2600: IQHA 1305 MPMW (same as kenshiro's he just bought.)
SLK 900 SmartFan2 Arctic Silver5.
NF7-S: Bought from newegg about two weeks ago.
1GB OCZ EB PC3500: Excalibur pc just received 5-19-04.

I was just hyper to test out my rig so I didn't take the time to go up thoroughly and systematically. So I was raising both the mulitplyer and the FSB and vice versa. I got it to boot into windows at 248 FSB 2.9 vlts. It crashed right after that so I went back down. I had it at 2640 mhz and 240 FSB but it wouldn't pass prime95, can't remember volts but temps were still good. I planned at that point to just wait another day and systematically go up and do it right but I tried one last setting to throw at prime95 before going to bed. Here it is:

216*12=2592 1.85 core cpu 48.5C (Checked temp on about the 8th hour of prime95.
FSB 230 @ 2.7

I set this to run before bed and it was till priming (nearly nine hours) before I left for work,(hopefully still going.)

Now keep in mind I am the first to admit I am a total newb to overclocking, so I am sure I am on my way to some even better results (if I don't fry it first.) with time, as these are just random settings I put in to get it stable so far. Oh yeah, in case your wondering, I have no mods, the only thing I did was remove the Northbridge fan and slap some arctricsilver5 on it and stuck it back on.

but for those of you who asked me to post, there ya are, I still have much tweaking to do but I don't think its too shabby for a start.

If you have seen my posts, I have agreed with you. The new NF7s are incredible. They easily scream over 240FSB. Mine does 248 stock.

Once I volt mod it I im gunning for 265

Did you L12 mod your CPU?
As the moble i just got doesnt like high FSB speeds as all, 221max...
While my old barton 2500 had no problems in the 240FSB range with no Voltage mods to the chipset

Yes.... my CPU is L12ed.. and today Im officially "toaster" certified. Prime has been running for 20mins now @ 10 x 251:beer:... who needs DFI!

Sen's going for a volt mod? Let the ride begin! :)

Very nice beginning results, gize. I sure wish mine would prime over 2600 ... but then, going from a PIII 500 to a Barton overclocked to 2574 is quite a boost no matter how you look at it for me. :D

Yeah perl, I am sure you're happy with what you have, very nice jump from the old system haha. but we always want more if we can get away with it, right, thats where the fun is... :)

Hey Jay, I am not sure who you were asking about but I posted up top that my board does not have any mods but I guess Sent went Mod!!! :)

I don't know, I am thinking these boards (yes, even the recently produced NF7-S) have a lot of potential. I was getting nervous last night though when I was going big, I went up to 27?? mhz at 448 fsb when it locked up in windows, then it wouldn't boot, I had to reset the cmos to get it firing again, is that normal? Had me pretty nervous for a few mins wondering if clearing the cmos would get me going again haha. I have a 400watt powmax powersupply, could that be a factor?

Anyway, I will be dialing it all in tonight and over the weekend, so I will keep you guys posted with any major improvements.

Last edited:
Oh and one other thing. Are any of you guys amazed at how cool this 2600 is running, I mean I am yet to hit a speed where the tempurature is an issue and all I have is a slk900 and TTsmartfan2. I am sure shocked, my old 2100 on my epox board was always hot and holding me back with my slk800.

Guess that depends on what you consider to be a safe temp - I don't want my going over 50C load (45C would be really nice after I improve my airflow and lap my HSF, but then with the headroom, I'll probably want to push back to 50C again under load and see how much faster I can go and keep it under there). Summer's nearly upon us, too. It's in the high 80's today, and the heating and cooling in our house is very sporatic.

Yeah, good point perl. It will be heating up. I think I have some room to give still considering I was only at 48C during prime95 (we know how rigorous that is.) and thats at 2592mhz 1.85. If I am still priming without error when I get home, I will raise up the speed at the same voltage and send her off priming again. but I agree 50C would be nice to stay under...

I'm kind of out of the loop right now, whats so special about the new nf7-s? Is it a bios update or what and can the older ones be made special also? ;)

A418t81 said:
I'm kind of out of the loop right now, whats so special about the new nf7-s? Is it a bios update or what and can the older ones be made special also? ;)

They are wired differentally. It has its advantages and disadvanteges. IMHO they did a die shrink of some sorts. It goes high, but hates voltage for some odd reason

what do you mean by new?

i mean relatively.

my nf7-s came with bios 19 installed. my friends with 21.

what bios are your "newer" one comming with?

Back