• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ADM 64 3200+ vs dual Mobile 2500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kulki

The mobile processors can he had from newegg for about 100 bucks each. A single 3200+ (DTR) costs 270. So I can buy two mobile processors for the cost of one 3200+ and still have money to spare. As far as performace goes which would be faster? Any suggestions on what I should go for.
thanks

It would depend on what you were using the system for, if you are going to use it for games and stuff just get the 3200+ as it has more power. Or if you like to do stuff like defrag and surf the web at the same time the dual setup would be what to get.

dual setup is only useful for multitasking, it does not provide 2x the punch for single tasks like gaming etc (sadly)...

so if you got the money, go for an Athlon 64 and overclock it otherwise just get a mobile barton single system. It will save you 100-200 bucks and be about 10-20% slower than the athlon 64 system depending on your overclock.

i agree, for gaming, dual almost never beats a faster non-dual system. (unless the game has support for SMP, which is rare)

secondly, yes, 2 mobiles = $200.. but then you need a dual motherboard, which aren't so cheap and ECC ram.

if you go with dual mobiles you'd have to use a m/b based on a chipset that's 2-3 generations older than any current stuff. that might hinder performance considerably. the only benefit that i can see if you'd use that rig for some specific purpose such as video encoding.

But I dont get this.... I thought that the performace difference between an AMD 64 and an OC'ed mobile 2500+ was about 20%. Won't a dual OC'ed Mobile 2500+ kick a single OC'ed AMD 64 3200+?
What am I missing here?

What your missing is the fact that two cpus does not mean twice the power it just means that you have two people doing the same work. if you only have enough work for one person or only one tool for one person the other one just stands there. most applications and games are not designed to use more than 1 cpu there for when they are run on a 2 cpu system they only use one and the other cpu idles. the second part is the chipset. most 2cpu chipsets are designed for servers and workstations, meaning that they are not screemers they are designed to be tough and stable. while two mobile cpus overclocked woud be fast as **** for a server or CAD workstation it would most likly be slower than a single 3200+ playing videogames.

The O/C'd A64 3200+ will be faster in almost every application. And, not just games. Only in fully SMP optimized software will the 2 X 2500+ mobiles be faster. The main problem, as others have said, is the old AMD chipset for running dual MP's. To call it outdated would be an understatement. It doesn't provide anywhere near the memory performance that the single 3200+ will give you. And, from what i read, the DTR 3200+ Athlon 64's are giving some nice O/C's. So, unless you are doing a massive amount of media encoding and multi-tasking (and if this is the case, you should be saving up for dual Opterons), go with the 3200+. Either that, or wait and see what socket 939 brings for both price and performance next month. Good luck. :)

Back