• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth Upgrading to the A64 over my system ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CandymanCan

Disabled
Hi, people have been saying to wait for the 939 chips, yet i think AMD roadmap says that they will only be around for a year or so before they change to something else.

The Current A64 system socket 754 or whatever it is is ganna be here until the 3700+ will is perfectly fine for me, from what i understand thats ganna be like @ 3ghz or something.

I want to buy a A64 system now, would it be worth going that route with what i have now.

All i do on my system is Search the web type on forums, and PLay alot of top games, like Ut2004, Bf: Vietnam, I wanna play Doom3, Hl2 ect.

If i sell my Current mobo, with the cpu and the 2x256m bpc 2700 Samsung sticks i can get $160.

Question: Will my pc3200 Samsung be good enough for the 3200+ A64 ? I dont Registerd ram right ?

For a A64 3200+ with 1mb L2 cache and a Good mobo, i would need $420, so if i sell my stuff i would only need $255. Again In youre opinion for what i do with my system would the upgrade be worth it. I think it will because my current cpu @ 2400mhz is equal to or maybe a little worse then the 3200+ A64. @ 2ghz. To me that a huge diff.

What motherboard do you guys recommend for the A64 3200 1mb L2. I want the best for overclocking i can get, i also want a Good built in soundcard, like the Nforce 2 boards have. Later down the road i will be going to SATA raid so i need SATA. Idont care about Firewire or USB ports all i need 2. Also, are thier any motherboard for the A64 that have the 4 mounting holes by the socket for like watercooling.

I want to continue using watercooling but if i have to ill use AIR. Whats a good Heatsink for the A64, bare in mind i havent used AIR in over 2-3 years.

I was thinking about the Abit KV8PRO,

Last edited:
i'd say no ... it's more than fast enough for today's games, and probably tomorrow's games, and the extra speed by going A64 is not worth that much money IMO .. unless you're one of the "must-have-the-best" guys out there :D

Ok do you have any Adviceon my other question's. like whats the best motherboard, will my pc3200 Samsung stick be fine it can do 220fsb stable.

wait for a while for nforce3-250 based motherboard or K8T800pro (both have AGP/PCI lock), or if you must have one now, anything but the chaintech will do you just fine (performance wise, nforce3-150 and K8T800 perform very similarly).

as for memory, the higher the fsb the better .. if you're limited to 220fsb, then by using the 3200+, your maximum OCing will be 2200mhz (3400+ speed), using 3400+, you'll get 2420mhz .. it's FAST .. really2x fast :)

Back