• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to start with Oc'n a 2500 xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juice175

Registered
I finally got all my components together.

Here is what I have:

Abit Nf7-s 2.0
Amd 2500 Xp
2x 512mb Corsair Xms Extreme LL Default timings of 2-3-2-6
Radeon 9800 Pro
Slk 900a/Smart Case fan II as my heatsink/Cpu fan
4 case fans
Antec Tru 430w

I have the chip at 3200 speeds now and it's running at 34 degrees Idle and about 37-38 when loaded.

Where do I start to overclock this at?

Do I need to adjust my timing first? Or should I just raise my FSB? If so what stepping is the best to start with?

Also in my Bios I have some things like Cpu Throttle, Agp Spectrum and something else, should I disable those?

I know you all prolly get this stuff all the time, I just don't know where to start. So any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

We can't tell you where to overclock to, that's for you to figure out :p

It looks like you have the right idea - raise the FSB (just make sure you don't exceed the memory's rating by too much). When I tried to find my processor's limit, I raised it so that the speed would be on the lower end of average results. I would recommend raising the voltage to 1.825 or so, and start with a speed of 2200 MHz. Increase the FSB by two MHz at a time, then reboot (let it load Windows - log in also. If any instability occurs, it will happen here before your machine will just not boot). Do this until you are able to completely load Windows and maintain a decent temperature (< 45C) under load. Then begin stability tests and increase voltage or decrease speed as you see fit.

I wouldn't worry about CPU Throttle or AGP Spectrum, but I'm sure someone else on here knows better than I what should be done with those settings.

Back