• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp2600 barton overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

john426

hi,
i have the same processor as in the following review (athlon xp 2600 barton 1.92ghz)...

in this review, the reviewer can easily overclock the processor to over 2.1ghz with no voltage modifications, yet i can only barely reach 2070mhz without instability and rounding errors in the prime95 torture test :( at around 2090mhz it resets (i'm using the nvidia system utility)

my cpu temps are 37c when browsing/e-mail and no higher than 51c when gaming for hours...i have an msi k7n2 mobo

i feel a little disappointed--could it be my fault or could i have simply been unlucky this time?

btw. could this limit be due to my 300w psu?

any help would be appreciated

Welcome to the Forum!

Some more detailed information about your system would help:

Memory make and ratings.
Power supply make/model
CPU stepping and date code (from the black label on the cpu, second line, first five letters are stepping and the next four numbers are the date code in yyww (year-week) format.
How many drives do you have (HDD and optical)?
Graphics solution.
Any other hardware of note.

Are you hitting that wall with extra voltage also?

Use a monitoring program like MBM5 http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ and watch your voltages and temperatures (especially your +12V).

overclocking is like that, it's never gauranteed to be as good for you as it is for others and vice versa. Most barton 2500 and 2600's can easily do 2+ ghz with little extra voltage. Im running a 2500+ at 2580 right now at a 1.95 vcore, any higher on that voltage and i get errors, if i run it a 2.0 vcore i can do 2.6+ but it gets a bit warm, however ive seen a 2500+ at 2760 mhz and 2380 at the same vcore, i got lucky compared to some, but not to others.

btw- it's not the power of the PSU that matters (unless it's under 300W), it's the stability of its outputs that matters

hi, thanks for the help everyone

the psu is an encer 300w
cpu model 10 stepping 0 (sorry can't get the date code atm)
1 80gb hd, 1 cdrw & 1 dvdrom
mediamax radeon 9600 pro 256mb
stock cooling except for a few 60p case fans i threw in

i haven't tried increasing the voltage yet (afraid i might break it ;) , it's still 1.6v...temps at the mo are cpu 40c and system 31c

thanks again for the help

You will not break anything if you...

1. Make small increases in core voltage.

2. Watch your temperatures for signs of overheating (socket > 55C, on-die >70C)

3. Try to avoid going over 110% stock voltage (1.76V for your cpu).

Back