• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Overclock Attempt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ble81

I have an AMD Athlon T-Bird. 1100

I am using an Abit KD7E Mobo.
The Video card is a G-force Mx 440

DDR333 Memory 512 meg I believe.

Anyway these are just formalities.

My question is that I have been trying to O/C this chip with some difficulty.

I started this up running it at 500 Mhz (100FSB * 5 clock speed)
Then I wanted to run it at it's regular speed 1100.
I tried to set it to 200FSB * 5.5 Clock

It wouldn't post

I reset the Bios and tried again

no luck...

I found that If I set it too 100 FBS @ 11.0 Clock it posted at 1100

I tried to overclock that from 100 FSB @11 to 100FSB at 12.0 Clock
It still posts at 1100.

What am I doing wrong here?

Can someone please help me out??

Thanks
Brian

your cpu may be locked down @11 multi... you may try out and see if you can up the fsb in 5mhz steps to see how fast your cpu will work at.

First of all your chip is locked. Luckily its VERY easy to unlock TBirds, just take a mechanical 0.5mm lead pencil and pencil the L1 bridges, do not cross connect two bridges and you'll be fine. If you have a multimeter then you can check resistense and it should be 300ohms or less, if it is, it will most likely be unlocked when you put it back in.

Your motherboard has the KT333 chipset, it will never be able to run at 200MHz FSB. its designed to run at 166MHz FSB, and you may be able to squeeze 180+Mhz out of it, depending on how good your ram is, the timings and vdimm.

hmmm my tbird 1ghz was shaded but i put it in my nf7s 2.0, became locked, weird

could it be the lead came off?

OK... I have done the "Pencil" trick to this CPU.
It was quite a while ago though.
Could it be that maybe it needs to be erased and done again??

Bri

It's the multi that's lock, not the FSB. If the pencil trick didn't work, then yes you should try it again, but I think you need to use a gum eraser instead of a red eraser, they leave off less junk that can get clogged in the bridges.

ble81 said:
OK... I have done the "Pencil" trick to this CPU.
It was quite a while ago though.
Could it be that maybe it needs to be erased and done again??

Bri

Yep that could be it, I also had sometime unlocks go bad after a while and needed reunlocking.

Ok it has been awhile since I last posted for this subject. Here's what has been happening. I did infact get this computer to run using water cooling and I am really pretty happy about that.
secondly I was having some trouble with this same computer as I am trying to network them together. That is now solved. Lastly
I have been able to overclock this "AMD" chip in question. My earlier problem was that I was trying to use the settings that the bios had in place not the "User defined" options. Now here is where a couple of questions need to be answered.

This chip says it can run at 200 FSB but as I read in earlier posts that is not possible because of mobo shortcomings. So I got the 1100Mhz by using 100 FSB at X11 clock.
To Over clock I also read that I should change the FSB so I did. I tried 101 at X11 and it worked!!! The first time I successfully got it to post at 1111. I know very small increment but hey I am starting out somewhere. So then 102, 103, 105, up to about 120 and the computer starts to act kind of wierd. At 110 I am looking at 1210 at what seems pretty stable. So where should I leave it for the long run? Is 1210 ok or is it too fast for this chip to start out at?
Next question is that the Temp on the chip states 95 degrees for the chip case. After checking the bios health it shows a temp of 95 to 105 F. The computer case temp says 104 F.
Is this a good temp for an O/C chip???
Last question I am running 98se and I am trying to get the internet explorer to run and I do not have a modem in the other computer I have a network card in it and I would like to use that as the internet connection. How do I do that? I am able to move the files between the computers ok so I do have the network set up right. It is just the internet on the "old" computer.

AMD has a double pumped bus, DDR. meaning that on each clock cycle the bus can transfer 2 signals. So if your bus runs at 100MHz you're effectively getting 200. Your CPU was meant to run at 100MHz FSB or 200FSB (DDR). If you want to increase your FSB, reunlock the L1s, drop the multiplier and up the FSB.

The temps that you're reporting are good, and you have nothing to worry about

Also the reason that your computer probably got finiky is because that motherboard does not have a PCI lock, meaning that the speed of the PCI bus is variable with the FSB. These boards have dividers at certain FSB's that bring the PCI bus within speck again.
At 120 mhz you were probably approaching the PCI limit. Try dropping you multi a little and set the FSB to 133 and work up from there, The next divider after that will be at 166, but I'm not sure where the T-Bird will crap out at. if you get to over 150, then you will be approaching the PCI bus limit again, and might have to try going up to 166 with another multiplier drop. All of this is ovcourse depending on voltages and temps, but work slowly, and as long as you have patience you should get a decent overclock for that chip :) Keep us updated

Ir0nman

Back