• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What needs to be insulated?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreammmatt

Hi all. I'm just looking for a little clarification here... if you're doing a waterchiller setup, what parts of your system need to be insulated? Like, do I needa put goo all over my mobo and cover it in neoprene, or... just the tubes and *something* on the block its self, or...what?

insulate everything, the lines, res, cpu socket, blocks etc. Bowmans article will be very helpful. http://www.phase-change.com/ in a chiller getting the coolant cold is easy, keeping it cold is the challenge. insulating will not only protect your sys from shorting out and wreaking havoc on your comonents but keep that coolant colder for a longer period of time.

with a chiller, condensation builds up all over the lines since they are below ambient temperature. if you don't do the lines and cpu, you could potentially get condensation that'll drip on something electronic. you don't know how good your chiller is, so you could get condensation inseide the socket. i would do the inside of the socket, the top and around the block, and also the lines - especially the lines straight from the chiller to the cpu. i doubt you need a heater on the back of the mainboard, it's not a mach II.

I wouldn't ever use a heater on the back with anything. You should cover the back of the socket with dielectric grease, and cover it with neoprene. You should also fill the socket with grease, and the slug should be filled with grease, then a piece of neoprene should be put in.

I like the vr-zone insulation guide, so I coat a large area around the socket (how large of an area is dependent on how powerful the chiller is) with silicone spray and a layer of seal string or armaflex.

Many people like to use spray insulation on wb's, but I have not tried that, on my mcw50-t I have a layer of seal string, and 2 layers of armaflex.

The res, tubing, block, mobo all need to be insulated (if the pump is inline and not submerged it needs to be insulated as well). This is not done so much as protect your components, but it is meant to maximize the performance of the chiller. Some people sacrifice performance, and don't insulate their wb's and lines, and mount their mobos upside down, but seems kind of dangerous, and a waste of cooling.

Re: ...

gouda96 said:
I wouldn't ever use a heater on the back with anything. You should cover the back of the socket with dielectric grease, and cover it with neoprene. You should also fill the socket with grease, and the slug should be filled with grease, then a piece of neoprene should be put in.

i would have to agree, exempt has a mach 2 and he ran his without a heater until one day it wouldnt work so he looked at it and he found this
4m0p

just thought i would throw that in there

~Magick_Man~

Back