• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holding me back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TinMan

I just got myself a new CPU, a barton mobile 2500. Nice chip, it is running at 14x166 for 2324GHz so I cant complain there.

However, I didnt realy want that figure, I wanted 2400 or 2300 with a FSB of 200.

Here is my specs:

NF7-S v1.1 with latest bios
2x256MB Corsair 3200DDR Dual channel mode
ATi 9700Pro GFX
Audigy 1 Plat (with that internal port box)
Wireless LAN card 54g

HDD: 7200 Maxtor 8MB
2x160MB SATA in RAID 0
1x120GB ATA
1x80GB ATA

LG DVD super multi drive (+-RAM)
Sony 52xCD-RW

Chieftec 340W PSU

8 Case fans, and a themertake smart fan on the CPU.

Temps are never above 40C, voltage lines are always stable.

However, I can boot, run prime, and memtest for ages at FSB200 sync without a single problem. If I start any 3D app/benchmark my computers GFX fails and the ATi recovery system manages to get it back up after the app kills itself.

The only problem I can see is my PSU, but the rails are all fine.

Bumping up the voltage to max, lowering the timmings, turning off CPU inferface do next to nothing to prevent this.

So any surgestions?

Lately I've been having problems staying @11x200 with my desktop 2500@ any voltage myself.

Since I added My 9600XT(I had a TI4200before) I can only OC the video card or the CPU.And Now I cant get the cpu stable past 176x11 even without the video card overclocked.

I cant OC both or I start to get problems like windows 2d apps freezing.Or In games I get a crash to the desktop or restart.

Im only running 2 case fans and a stock AMD cooler right now.
Plus my sig.Temps are just fine though.
One intake on the side lined up with the cpu and one exhaust in the usual rear position and the PSU exhaust in a cool room in a nice ventilated area.CPU 38 Idle/ 48 load/ case temps 25.

Im thinkin This SL350 is not cutting it anymore? The only change has been the 9600XT.

What Should I get? The 430 truepower sounds /looks good?

TinMan said:
However, I can boot, run prime, and memtest for ages at FSB200 sync without a single problem. If I start any 3D app/benchmark my computers GFX fails and the ATi recovery system manages to get it back up after the app kills itself.

I am having the same problem. CPU runs great @ FSB of 166 x anything, but as soon as I go up to 200 X anything I get 3d Game instability. I have a a chaintech-NVidia 5900 which just looks like it sucks down power... But, I have a 450 Watt PS! Also- I have an NVidia A7N8X-D MB with NForce2 chipset. So ours are similar.

I'm stumped too. Anyone else have any theories?

man i hope all u guys problems are not psu's, i just spent like 70buks on a antec smartblue 350w. I got my 9800pro hooked up to another psu to maybe save some power for other things, i have real system instablity too, restarts and freezes, but if my system is at least semi-stabe im happy:D

Yeah man,eveythings fine untill I overclock.I think im gonna go get a 430w truepower tonight.

"stratcatprowlin" I had to register with a new name cause I lost my password and changed my email!!!

Right, just got my Antec TruBlue PSU 480w.

I have the same results as my last PSU, I am just stuck at 166 FSB, I can not go any higher in sync without it screwing up in 3D.

It passes prime and memtest for ages (until I stop it).

Only 2 things left:

1. my motherboard (going for socket 939 when the prices are alot better)
2. my GFX card, this cant be the problem because the AGP bus is locked.

Ok. I got an Athlon XP 2400+, default of 15X133, I have mine currently running at 11x200. I can go up to 11.5, but not completely stable yet. My MB doesnt have AGP/PCI lock, so I cant up FSB over 2mhz above 200.
Burn-in your CPU! I had to do this to get mine to run the way it is. I just used Hot CPU Tester and used the burn-in program and let it burn for about 8 hours. My voltage is currently at 1.74 on the CPU(my MB doesnt allow for vcore changes, so I had to connect bridges ON the CPU to do it), load temp is around 39-41c. Just let that sucker burn-in and you will be able to go higher.

Back