• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb Info needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spacedementia87

Registered
2500+ XP-M and Nf7-S overclocking

I posting a new topic because the other was getting a bit long so..
I am planning on ocing my Mobile Barton 2500+
if it is unstable, should i increase (or decrease) the RAM timings, RAM voltage, Vcore and Chipset voltage? (not necessarly all at once) And i will need a better chipset cooler? How will i be able to tell if it will fit with the SP-97 CPU cooler? Also will this RAM be ok Adata 512MB PC3200 DDR 184 Pin Dimm? because all the other 512MB chips are over £100 on the site i am looking at

Last edited:
You could start by bumping the FSB a little then running prime to see if its stable.

If it isn't stable at only so much of a FSB boost, then you need to look into LOWERING your CAS latency timing on your memory. If it is set at default at 3.0, take her down to 2.5. If it is already set to 2.5, be looking at a increase up to 3.0.0.5. Try these settings out and see what comes out...if the increase doesn't work.

Is that an increase in voltage? if so the max voltage i am going to put through is 1.8v.
But what i am asking is if increasing the vcore and lowering the RAM timings doesn't work, should i look to increasing the chipset voltage, the RAM voltage, or lowering the FSB a bit? which should be the first choice?

Also will i NEED a new northbridge HS, or is ABit's stock one ok? If i do, how will i tell if it is going to fit in with the SP97 CPU hs that i am getting?

First, I'm talking about the CAS LATENCY on your MEMORY. I don't know the definition, but it means the timimg between the CPU and the memory communicating with each other. You can change that in your BIOS under an area for either "Chipset Properties" or the first page on the BIOS, you'll just have to look around for CAS latency.

Second, Abit's stock northbridge should be just fine for what you're doing. And if you go with it, the SP97 cooler WILL work with that chipset, so don't worry whether it fits or not, it's the very same chipset...physically.

What are your stats right now? (Ex: fsb, cpu multiplier, ram timings, VCOre, etc....) Also, what error message are you getting with Prime95?

If we know these we can help you out more specifically rather than taking shots in the dark...

Check my post in the other thread you started about this topic....

well i haven't actually got the computer yet, i am just trying to sort everything out in my mind first, like it it will be worth it etc. I won't get the computer at least untill my exams are over, because my dad is putting up the money, and he doesn't want me too distracted, with putting it together and tweaking it.

But i just wanted to know all i could before i started

Back