• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock works one day, not the next

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EfrainMan

Registered
I've been running my rig (AthlonXP 3200+, AOpen AK79D-400VN, 1GB Kingston RAM @ 2,3,2,6, CPU and Northbridge cooled by Exos water cooling) at 11.5x200 at default voltage for quite some time with no problems. Yesterday, I decided to bump it to 12x200 to see if it could. At 1.675v it wasn't stable. But at 1.7v it was finally stable. I had it on for hours and 3D applications worked just fine. This morning, I tried to boot, but I'll be damned if Windows XP couldn't boot. I couldn't figure it out. I reverted back to 11.5x200 at default volts and it's working just fine. So my question is...huh? It worked fine one day and not the next? Why? Why is the world so cruel to me? :cry:

XP3200 at 2.3GHz is already impressive. The question is what more do you want?
Anyway, check your temp, vcore rail .... Sometimes it is affected by little things like that. Also are you prime stable?

overdoze said:
XP3200 at 2.3GHz is already impressive. The question is what more do you want?
Anyway, check your temp, vcore rail .... Sometimes it is affected by little things like that. Also are you prime stable?
Well, the temp is okay (doesn't go above 45C), I know what vcore is, but vcore rail? And...I forgot to check prime...:bang head

CandymanCan said:
Just raise the voltage and quit complaining. 1.7v is nothing.
Alright, jeez. Just worried because it worked fine for so long then it decided to go "blah" on me. Much anger in this one I sense...:p

twitch579 said:
crank up that voltage!! go for 2.0vcore and 2500mhz! :p if it breaks RMA that sucker.

:eek: Erm, how 'bout I don't do that...newayz, seems to be stable now at 1.725v, but we'll see. Thanks, peeps! :)

Alright, here's the thing. If I've had the comp on for an hour or so at the stable 11.5x200, and then set it to 12x200 @ 1.725v, there are absolutely no problems. But once I turn it off and let it go cold (off for several hours), then turn it on at 12x200 @ 1.675-1.725v, then Windows can't boot. That's what I don't understand. And raising the vcore above 1.75v makes it even worse. Shouldn't it be stabler booting from cold? Or is this a normal thing? That's what...thanks.

In case anyone wonders (or cares :p), the problem was my PSU. I replaced the Allied with a Fortron, and I'm rock solid at 2.4GHz (12*200) with 1.725v.

$&$#&$ cheap PSU's. :mad:

twitch579 said:
crank up that voltage!! go for 2.0vcore and 2500mhz! :p if it breaks RMA that sucker.

How about not?

Don't RMA stuff that you break--by break, I mean take out of its default operating environment in such a way that it would void the warranty. :temper:

And a .35V overvolt and 300MHz overclock definitely takes it outside of AMD's specified operating environment.

Back