• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile Phase-Change Unit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strages

My friends and I have undertaken a massive summer project. Originally this idea has been stemmed from an ideas that I had about two years ago that was centered around a very similar project - a hybrid liquid cooled/peltier system. However, once I started to research into this idea, I found phase-change and I've been wanting to do it ever since. the only problem was mney, I didn't have the money I needed to complete the project, now I do.
Basically, the I brought up that I wanted to build a mobile phase-change system this summer, and my friends hopped on board. now we have two people wanting the same system and possibly a third. We want to make a mobile phase change unit. Basically, we would have a sepereate unit (much like the nVentiv coolers) but this one would be deatchable from the computer itself, making it easily movable from place to place as two seperate entities (basically, we want a LAN-capable phase-change cooling system).
In doping research into what we're going to need, it seems that this task is going to be a daunting one - in fact, I'm starting to wonder if we're going to be able to pull this off and maintain good temps. Basically, I'm curious if anyone has ever tried this/ done this and if this would even be possible.

I am planning on building an all-in-one waterchilled system; the dimensions that i figured out are, from the side view, 24Lx14Wx18H". I am planning on attaching wheels and handles to the sides-and/or-top; now, if you were to remove the reservoir, and do it direct-die, it would reduce the size by---at least 6 inches in the length - and the 18" height is only because my rad is 12x12 and i dont want to cut any of the pipes to replace it. Most of the system's bulk is the phase-change hardware, the actual computer is on top, horizontally, more or less. the mobo lays down on a "component shelf", and at the front of the case on the left are the optical drives (2) and on the right side are the hdd's. With this chiller setup as opposed to direct-die, i can chill my video card, which i intend to utilize a DangerDen peltier/waterblock cobo on. Idk if any of these ideas - such as the computer-on-top horizontally - give you any ideas, but - whatever, ^_^

Well, the plan that I had originally thought up used a valve and cutoff system that would allow the evaporator to stay inside the case, connected to the cpu and then the tube would be connected to the case where it exited to the outside world. The hose on the outside would also be sealed for safe removal from the main case. Then the unit that housed the compressor, condenser, etc would detach from the top/side of the main case and would have a handle assembly that would allow for easy carrying (assuming that it is not extremely heavy).
I want the entire system to be sealed and closed as much as possible from the outside world. We're hoping for a two-piece unit: the first being the computer and the second being the phase-change unit.

maybe have the line for the phase change go in the back of the case and have a screw fitting on the back so you could take it off,
and you would need a valve on the phase change side of the connector to keep all of your precious gassious goodness from leaking out.
so when you want to go you just unscrew and take off
hope that helps

~Magick_Man~

lmao... thanks magik_man - that's exactly what the plan was :D at least now I know I'm thinking along the right lines - and that it isn't too far fetched.

the only problem with that is you will lose alteast a little gas each time you undo it,
this can probably be solved by putting another vavle inside the case to keep all the gas in there from leaking out.
you might think of a mach 1, you can get them with a lian li designed shell that would stack under your case and look like it also
put some wheels on that badboy or a handle and go to town (or the lan, whichever the case may be :) )

~Magick_Man~

Eh, I was hoping to avoid the insanely expensive nVentiv coolers, plus I'd like to try and do it myself for accomplishments sake - plus it's going to be really fun. Also, I don't want to be restricted in any way, I want to be able to have freedom of design, instead of desiging around something - like the nventiv coolers. However, I suppose that as a last-resort I will keep that in mind :).

Btw, are there places that you can buy evaporators instead of making one yourself? It would be difficult for me to mill something and the testing would kill my time frame - I'd like to handle it, but I just don't think I have the time to deal with that along with desiging how the other components will fit together. If you can buy evaporators for copmputer uses, could you guys recommend one or two and also recommend a place to pick it up. thanks!

Strages said:
Btw, are there places that you can buy evaporators instead of making one yourself? It would be difficult for me to mill something and the testing would kill my time frame - I'd like to handle it, but I just don't think I have the time to deal with that along with desiging how the other components will fit together. If you can buy evaporators for copmputer uses, could you guys recommend one or two and also recommend a place to pick it up. thanks!

http://www.xtwerkz.com/welcome.htm

they sell baker evaps

Thanks 9mm!! Not sure how good those things are, they look to be pretty well made and that site has a great deal of good stuff on it, possibly some stuff I could use for other projects... hmm... if anyone knows of any other good places, drop me a line.

Strages said:
Thanks 9mm!! Not sure how good those things are, they look to be pretty well made and that site has a great deal of good stuff on it, possibly some stuff I could use for other projects... hmm... if anyone knows of any other good places, drop me a line.

I found that site through a link in OPPainter's sig at XS, so I will assume that that site is good, am not sure if he has an affiliation to that site (which would be good though) though.

*bump* Off subject,
but I hope to have my new pump in by the 20th. I'll need to show you this plexi so we can figure out how we can use it, I really hope I didnt waste my money. I'm thinking 115watt pelt for the res. :D I think I'll make a real diagram today.
-zero

sure thang - this week might be a good time because I'll be half incapacitated due to wisdom teeth removal... that way you can come over and we can design this thing while I'm doped up on valium :D.

Back